DIY refugium questions

MiniQuaid

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey everyone been looking into adding a small refugium to my 20 gallon reef and had an idea to use a spare 15 gallon filter and turn it into a refugium, any benefits of using a clear refugium versus a blacked out one? Or anyone have any tips for setting one up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing I can think of would be that with a clear fuge you can see how well your light is penetrating and see the bottom to tell how dirty /clean it is, other than that they will both work.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A pro to a blacked out tank would also be to block out light to other areas that may grow algae. Such as skimmer, clear tubing lines, etc

Hey everyone been looking into adding a small refugium to my 20 gallon reef and had an idea to use a spare 15 gallon filter and turn it into a refugium, any benefits of using a clear refugium versus a blacked out one? Or anyone have any tips for setting one up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alot of people convert an aquaclear 70 or similar filter to a refugium/filter for small tanks. Intank makes an acrylic insert for this filter just for this purpose- lots of YouTube video about this online. We used one on our smaller tank and it works great for cultivating pods, growing macro, etc.

Back