DIY RO/RODI/SALTWATER Storage System

walterp1982

Market
Reaction score
So, in order to facilitate ease (and thus regularity) of keeping my water params right, I decided to stop buying water, and develop my own little (pretty common) DIY water system.

1) I got a BRS Value 4-stage RODI.

2) I got 3 storage barrels from a local guy on Craigslist, cleaned them well with vinegar, installed 3/4" bulkheads, and used Schedule 40 PVC to give me spigots. Today all 3 will get float valves to automate topping them off.

3) Built a heavy-duty 6' stand out of scrap 4x4's and 2x4's (took about 2 hours).

One barrel will store RO water for my beer brewing, one will store RO/DI, and one will store Saltwater.
I installed 2 ball valves on the RO/DI barrel, because I plan on using a booster pump and a float valve on one of them to easily top off my 1-week ATO in my living room (under supervision), so that I don't have to carry any more dripping buckets through the house.

An issue I've discovered is that the 1/2" PVC that feeds my sink faucet only gives me about 20psi, but my garden hose gives me 80psi. I don't want to drag the hose into the garage, so I'm going to have to find a new place to plumb my RO/DI system (since I'm not buying a pump just for that).

Any ideas before I go any further?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1036122=62052-stand 2.jpg
>
1036122=62052-stand 2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="stand 2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1036122=62053-stand 3.jpg
>
1036122=62053-stand 3.jpg
class="gc-images" title="stand 3.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1036122=62051-stand.jpg
>
1036122=62051-stand.jpg
class="gc-images" title="stand.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Your garden hose pressure is high because its tapped before the pressure reducing valve for your house. I have a hose like that as well.

If you are only getting 20 psi from any tap in your house, there is a problem with your PRV. That is too low, you should be getting 40-60 psi in your house.

walterp1982;1036122 wrote:
One barrel will store RO water for my beer brewing, one will store RO/DI, and one will store Saltwater.
I installed 2 ball valves on the RO/DI barrel, because I plan on using a booster pump and a float valve on one of them to easily top off my 1-week ATO in my living room (under supervision), so that I don't have to carry any more dripping buckets through the house.

An issue I've discovered is that the 1/2" PVC that feeds my sink faucet only gives me about 20psi, but my garden hose gives me 80psi. I don't want to drag the hose into the garage, so I'm going to have to find a new place to plumb my RO/DI system (since I'm not buying a pump just for that).

Any ideas before I go any further?

I think I understand what you are trying to do and may have an easier solution...

Hook the booster pump and RO/DI to your sink and have it fill all 3 containers. The barrel that will be used to fill your ATO; add a T coming out of the barrel, prior to your current plumbing, with a ball valve off off one leg. Then you can add a regular pump with a few unions and plumb that back to your ATO with a ball valve on the end of that line. When you are ready to top off, you simply turn on the pump, open the valve on the barrel and then walk over to your ATO reservoir and open the final valve. In my head it seems to work perfect. :)

On a side note, I'm curious to see how the RO works for your beer brewing. I brew on the side and have thought about setting something up like this just on a smaller scale for apartment life.

Thanks for the input guys, going to push further toward completion this weekend. Definitely need to check my prv

Following, simply because you need to teach me how to brew that great beer you brought over!

Back