DIY stand question

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
tomorrow im gonna start building a stand for my 18" cube. i want to add a 20g for my sump so do you think making the frame 26x26 would accomidate the sump with enough wiggle room? im going to be making it out of 2x4s and plan on building it along the lines of this
4268875836_3a4d311ba1.jpg
alt="" />

i do plan on skinning it so it will be completely enclosed

I may be wrong about this but I would get the sump and build it around the tank at least make it so you can slide it out the side maybe with a side door in addition to front door for easy removal just put the hinge on back so it can't be seen. I think acrobolic had a cube stand similar to this

just rember presser treated wood releases chemicals that can kill u and your fish

I made a 20 gallon sump for my 75 about 3 weeks ago! What length are you using: 20 high or long?

just looked at my comment. Clearly it would be a 20 high! It would barley fit into the inside! You may have an inch on each side, if that!

falos;600445 wrote: just rember presser treated wood releases chemicals that can kill u and your fish

This is fine if it is dried out first right

i was thinking of picking one up tomorrow before the build. as far as room inside, i wouldn't need more than an inch or so front to back. it will have extra room on the side for other equipment

making my own out of a 20g. i have a 15g that i was going to use but with my skimmer there's not a lot more room

well, I don't know what you are making your baffles out of, but you probably know that acrylic is super expensive! I went to lowes and had some glass cut! I got 3 10"x12" 2/16 inch glass pieces for only $6!! very cheap!

JCampbell;600502 wrote: well, I don't know what you are making your baffles out of, but you probably know that acrylic is super expensive! I went to lowes and had some glass cut! I got 3 10"x12" 2/16 inch glass pieces for only $6!! very cheap!
And you probably know that 1/8th thick glass won't do you much good as a baffle?
It is very thin and will crack at the slightest stress...

It's doing fine as of now! There are people all over the Internet doing the same thing as I am! A 10 gallon is made out of the same thickness of glass.

SuperClown;600472 wrote: This is fine if it is dried out first right

An aquarium stand should never be built from pressure treated wood. Not because of the chemicals used in the treating process (which are only a concern while the wood is being cut, because of the dust particles), but because of the moisture content of pressure treated wood. PT members will warp, bow and twist -- even if only very slightly. You DO NOT want this to happen underneath an aquarium.

Why not build the stand out of 3/4" ply? No 2x4 members required, and a lot of room saved for your sump. PM me if you have any specific questions!

Dustin

JCampbell;600506 wrote: It's doing fine as of now! There are people all over the Internet doing the same thing as I am! A 10 gallon is made out of the same thickness of glass.

True, but the glass used in those small tanks is tempered glass. The stuff you can buy at Lowes is not tempered (if it was tempered then they couldn't cut it to size for you). Tempering makes glass about 5x stronger than non-tempered glass.

Dustin

I don't think there is any stress on it; it has equal weight of water on both sides of each glass. I dont even have that heavy of water movement through the baffles any way. I'm planning on getting a professional sump down the road.

RedEDGE2k1;600507 wrote:
Why not build the stand out of 3/4" ply? No 2x4 members required, and a lot of room saved for your sump. PM me if you have any specific questions!
Dustin

yes, given the small confines available under the display tank, I too, would recommend using plywood.. it will give you more room for your sump/equipment

my 90 is on a plywood stand (Oceanic)

Back