DIY Stand question

sleepyreef

Market
Reaction score
I built a stand for my 40 breeder a year ago. It is basically just a frame of 2x4s that can hold two 40 breeders - one on top and one on bottom. My tank has been in my spare room but now I want to move it into the living room.

My dilemma:

There is no brace in the middle so it is a huge opening - enough to slide in a 40 breeder sump. I do not want to mount doors. I want to close the front in a way that I can remove the front panel to access the sump area.

My ideas:

1. Panel cut in half attached to drawer sliders so they can slide all the way out both sides.

2. Hang the panel somehow using a strip of wood with an angle cut

3. Use magnets - either on back of panel and on frame or on frame with metal strips on panel

4. Attach 4 3M Picture Hanging Command Strips on each corner of frame and just click the panel on.

Question: Would 1/4 birch plywood be thick enough for a front panel 44" x 35"? Was curious if it would warp.

I have been googling a lot and almost everyone either leaves their stand as a frame or use hinged doors. I saw a guy on some site using the draw sliders. Can not find anyone else hanging a panel and I just came up with the command strip picture hanger idea last night while brainstorming alternative methods to hang things.

I'm just looking for some advice if anyone has hung a panel and other ways of doing so that I have not thought of. Goal is to open up the whole bottom and look presentable. I do not want hinged doors.

Pic:
20120128_120419.jpg

magnets were used on this metal stand. Same thing on your stand could be used. I would use a minimum of 1/2" ply without a frame.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
780172=38400-IMG_7042.jpg
>
780172=38400-IMG_7042.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_7042.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

they way I did both my 36" tank stands, one being a 40 breeder I used the front as a solid door... here's a pic...

1231082033b.jpg
alt="" />

I had a 20g long under it and it did great. for the 3 years it was up.. now it is torn down and a 125g tank was put in its place.

grouper therapy;780172 wrote: magnets were used on this metal stand. Same thing on your stand could be used. I would use a minimum of 1/2" ply without a frame.
where can you get the magnets at? i was looking for away to do the front of my 120 stand i just built

If you go to the hardware department of HD there is a section with a bunch of drawers holding all kinds of misc. stuff. In those drawers you will find a section with different sizes of magnets. The are not rare earth magnets but you should find something that would work.

interested to see what you come up with i want to do the same thing with a 65 dt and a 40b sump

the cabinet door magnets come with a metal plate so you can hang it wood on wood

eagle9252;780429 wrote: the cabinet door magnets come with a metal plate so you can hang it wood on wood
but will they be strong enough to hold up a 1/2 sheet of plywood?

I went to HD to buy the plywood today. I couldn't find the magnets, but while looking for the magnets I did see 2" x 1" industrial velcro patches. Also saw the nail in picture hangers. I thought about using the velcro patches on all four corners or two nail in picture hangers and two saw tooth brackets to hang the wood.

I had the wood cut at HD and when I was putting my sides on I realized I should have measured another inch for the front panel due to the sides making the stand an extra inch wider :bash2: I guess I may add trim.

they are down a different aisle. where the cabinet hinges and door handles are.. you can use some outside corner trim to cover it up. or double lap some 1x4" and such and make a nice built up corner.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355576">Show me your fancy stands</a>

here are a couple of ideas. the link has like 40 pages

[IMG]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/161296IMG_3048_.JPG" alt="" />

[IMG]http://www.pbase.com/willgtp/image/94999669.jpg alt="" />

IMG_0983.jpg
alt="" />

drawer slides

Thetank014.jpg
alt="" />

Edit: the 3 wooden panels can be completely removed to grant even more access to the sump area (for major maintenance jobs). The panels are attached to the steel via 1" Neodymnium magnets that have been pressed into the wood.

DSC08827.jpg
alt="" />

DSC08613.jpg
alt="" />

DSC08610.jpg
alt="" />

DSC08607.jpg
alt="" />

Edit:

Eagle, you have went above and beyond with your assistance. Too bad my wood working skills are nil and I only have a jigsaw, electric drill, and sand paper. There is no way my stand will look anywhere near as nice as the ones pictured. I am looking for the "Elos style" which in my vocabulary means simple and minimalist. Also it means something I can do.

Anyway now that i have my boards cut. I am going to use the industrial strength velcro. I may velcro my sides as well as the front. I will also add some corner trim.

I will post some pics just for fun when I'm finished.

Update:

This is what I have so far. I still have a few odds and ends to do. Cut my corner trim a little too short, but it was the first time I ever tried to cut two 45 degree angles on a corner trim so it can meet at three points.

Anyway.

a40stand.jpg
alt="" />

Judging by the photo the center wood strip (used because I cut the front panel too short due to not adding in the extra inch for the sides) is not total spot on centered. Glue has dried and it is not moving anywhere so I can live with it. Also I used velcro and was amazed at the hold. Both sides and front panels are velcroed on; no screws used. The first time I tried to pull off the sides I had to pull really hard. Used http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202261926/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=velcro&storeId=10051">this velcro on the sides; two each side.</a> And two of [IMG]http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202261921/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=velcro&storeId=10051">these on the front panels.</a> Solid hold in case anyone is wondering.

Please ignore my tank. I am currently going through a total tank makeover. Also it is less blue in real life.

Now I'm trying to decide what color I'm going to paint it.

Back