DIY sump and refug. for 120G

chris619

Market
Reaction score
I am new to the hobby and have a oceanic 120 tech and am wondering what min. size sump to build. I have been looking at different designs for this sump. refug. but would be open to any advice.

Thanks.

I would only advise you to go as big as possible. I've had a FOWLR for years but have now started really getting "into" the hobby. I've found that my initial lack of planning has forced me to spend a good deal of time fixing problems and piecing things together to make them work. If I had it to do over again I would have spent more time and money on my initial setup. You get what you pay for and patience is key. A good many problems that I currently have were because I tried to "save" money and didn't want to wait and do my homework. A bunch of folks here have a ton of experience and can give us both some great advice. I just wish I would have listened from the get go.

I have read a couple books already. I am taking this extremely slow. I bought a 65G passive flow refugium. Is there in real comparison between an ASM skimmer and an Octopus? Either way with the set up I am going to get one rated for no less than 250G.

I would get an octo honestly. The ASMs are good, but they are in a way slightly dated technology, and the octo extremes use better pumps and a bubble plate design, which translates to better skimming for less electricity, and probably close on cost (if buying new).

The octo. is my preference. This will be in my sump.. I would like to run an external return pump. but my sump is 42'' by 18'' and my stand is 48'' by 24''. Can I run the return in front or in the rear with a 120 degree turn with flex pipe? Or is there a pump with incoming and outgoing 90 degrees apart?

I see. The sump is a passive refug. that is actually an intricate design that allows for the refug part to have a seperate control of flow. The cavity for the skimmer is 13'' wide by 18'' deep by 12'' high. The footprint of the skimmer I am looking at is 10.5' by 15". The NW200. There will be sufficent room in my cabinet for this sticking above my sump but is there a rule for having to big of a skimmer in your sump?

Back