DIY Sump Design - Any flaws?

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
I would appreciate some feedback on this sump design.

Water drains into the top right corner into a "bubble tower" and spills over to a filter sock. Water then flows through two holes to the skimmer section in the lower right-hand corner. The dimensions of the skimmer section are roughly 12" x 12". Water then flows through a bubble trap heading left to the return section, which is approximately 8" x 12".

Operating height of the skimmer section is 9" and the section in the top left-hand corner is for ATO water and is approximately 12" x 6" x 16" (tall), or about 5 gallons.

The two holes at the top of the filter sock chamber are for the times when the filter sock clogs and that chamber overflows; it will overflow into the skimmer compartment.

Any major flaws?

CubeSump-V1.png
alt="" />

looks good to me. any reason you're integrating the ato reservoir? im sure you could get a much more water into an external one.

I am maxed out in terms of space under the stand and putting something else outside of the stand has been vetoed. I could do a separate water container but it would be roughly the same size.

LOL. If you are going to use a napkin you have to use electrical tape with it. It's the law.

Lol, that's what I requested, but my wife brought me medical tape.

At least it wasn't duct tape. That's for amateurs.

Hey, I use duct tape I have the stuff with little mustaches on it ;-)

Only those over priced electricians would use electrical tape, besides if we're reefer's shouldn't we use super glue- the type with the gel in it of coarse!

Sewer Urchin;1038248 wrote: Hey, I use duct tape I have the stuff with little mustaches on it ;-)

Only those over priced electricians would use electrical tape, besides if we're reefer's shouldn't we use super glue- the type with the gel in it of coarse!

Duct tape doesn't stretch so you don't get a tight seal. Of course known you, you would stretch it so tight we would eventually have to cut your finger off.

Back