DIY sump question.....

savingnemo754

Market
Reaction score
I bought a new 30 gal tank and am going to build a sump out of it for my 90RR. My question is has anyone one ever used glass panels as dividers? I know a lot of people use acrylic but are there any benefits to using it?

I have made several sumps using glass or acrylic as didviders. The glass ones were stronger since silicone adheres to it . The acrylic is just easier to modify if need be but the silicone really doesn't adhere to it very well if at all.

Any special issues when using glass. I was going to cut it with a tile saw to smooth out the edges, but what about the silicon? Do I need to prep the edges with anything special?

I have used glass before as well.

The glass will bond to the glass of a tank perfectly.

Here was my mistake. I bought glass from HD which is very thin, very fragile and very sharp.

If I had to do it over I would get thicker glass from a glass store.

I like acrylic because if the person who cuts it is a little long it can easily be corrected with a sander or a saw.

Jusy wipe the edges with some rubbing alcohol or acetone(nail polish remover) before appying the silicone.

Here was my mistake. I bought glass from HD which is very thin, very fragile and very sharp.

If I had to do it over I would get thicker glass from a glass store.
excellant thought

Loren, thanks for the info on the thickness.

I was going to get some from Lowes which I'm sure is just as thin.

I will head to the glass store and get some prices.

The baffles can be cut 1/8" to 3/16" smaller than the width of the tank and the silicone will feel the gap.

IMO its easier , cheaper to use acrylic baffles and you can cut it your self. They also have precut pieces at HD.

Cool!!! Thanks for the help I belive I will try glass on this one and see how it goes. I have a 55 to turn into a sump shortly.

I went to a glass shop and had glass baffles cut. Cost a bit more to use glass...but worry free. Seals tight...no flex and looks good.

Dont use window pane glass from HD. Too thin!

Good luck!

I just had baffles cut at the glass store. 1/4" for a 20 gal they worked out to be 9.00 per baffle. Much better in my opinion.

Back