Diy Sump

tgray3

Market
Reaction score
I finally got my hands on the acrylic for the sump i want to build. I was wondering what adhesive some of you have had success with and what to stay away from. I only want to do this once so any advice would be appreciated.

Weldon.

If you want to do it right the first time may I suggest you read this site front to back:

a>

Not sure if this would be it but heres a place for Weldon
Calsac
<span style="font-family: Arial">3105 Sweetwater Road, Suite J, Bldg 300. </span>
<span style="font-family: Arial">Lawrenceville, GA 30044
(877) 422-5725</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial">(770) 921-4550 </span>

Mixing your acrylic shavings with the weld on will help make it a little thicker, but also makes the bond stronger when dry

Properly milled components will glue or fuse together nicely with weldon 3 . The capillary method works well as it is described in melev"s site. Maybe We can have diy workshop at my place soon and learn a little about acrylic fabricating as well as some diy reflectors. I am no expert but have made a few sumps up to 150 gallons as well as my own. I would be glad to share my limited knowledge with some of you.

Yes and yes and true. For a minimun investment one can buy a 3/4 hp router or larger that will chuck up a 1/2" shank router bit, a spiral or straight flute router bit with bottom bearing, a nice straightedge, 4 or 5 clamps and can fabricate basic shapes needed for most sumps.

Thanks for the info. I'll get a hold of some Weldon. I programmed and cut the acrylic on a CNC router so I'm not worried about my tolerances, just the gluing/sealing part. My wife really hates floods. I appreciate everyones advice.

tgray3, where did you purchase your acrylic and was it expensive? I'm thinking about using a 30L for a sump and insert acryilc baffles, fuge, etc.

surfdude;314417 wrote: tgray3, where did you purchase your acrylic and was it expensive? I'm thinking about using a 30L for a sump and insert acryilc baffles, fuge, etc.

I didn't have to pay for it. I kept eyes and ears open for scrap pieces from people where i work that have reef tanks and on the forums here. There was a thread earlier today from someone giving away an acrylic sump for free. It took a few months to get enough for me to use. Good things come to those who wait i guess.

Back