Do I Need a Protein Skimmer?

56cbr600rr

Supporting
Reaction score
I've got a small little 25 gallon tank with 5 fish and loaded with corals. I feed flakes every day. Brine shrimp, 2-3 days a week, and occasionlly fish eggs, clams, etc... I usually try and keep phospahtes around .08 and nitrates 10-15. In truth, I maintain this easily with a 4 to 5 gallon water change every 2-4 weeks. I do use a small uv sterilizer when it is dark in the tank.

Fish are healthy, tank is pest free, and corals are growing no problem.

Is there anything more a protein skimmer will do for me? Everything seems to be at a nice equilibrium at the moment and it seems a skimmer would add complication.

Am I missing anything? Will the skimmer pull things out of the water that I'm not realizing are there? Or keep plugging along like I have been?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Are you running any type of filter media, sponge or floss? I do believe that pulling the surface slime is good.
Rarely use carbon, etc.. , I do use filter floss that is changed out every 1-3 days.

If it ain't broke don't fix it is great advice in this hobby. These systems thrive on stability. Once you have a good rhythm stop tinkering.

I use a skimmer on my Lagoon 25 and honestly I think its more work than its worth. I am considering pulling the skimmer and using that space for a fuge

I use a skimmer on my Lagoon 25 and honestly I think its more work than its worth. I am considering pulling the skimmer and using that space for a fuge
Good to know and what I'm wanting to avoid. Thanks for the input.

Depending on the state of your tank, no you do not need a skimmer. I have an expensive skimmer it's great. But lately my fuge has done all the hard work. My skimmer now is only turned on like once a week.

Depending on the state of your tank, no you do not need a skimmer. I have an expensive skimmer it's great. But lately my fuge has done all the hard work. My skimmer now is only turned on like once a week.
The fuge keeps my po4 at a good level .04, but strips no3 to 0 so I let the fuge run an dose no3. It's easier than shutting down the fuge and running gfo to keep po4 down

With those parameters, I would not do a thing. Those are solid parameters for any coral. If you decide to keep SPS then you would simply have to run a higher Par.

Those are the parameters I try to keep in a SPS tank.

Last edited:
When I first got into salt water skimmers were a luxury item imported from Germany. I eventually bought one, and now consider them standard equipment. Mostly due to the immense increase in surface area from the bubbles produced by them, which favors efficient gas exchange. I think BRS did a pretty good job summing it up here, but there is more to it -

Back