Do these work?

johnr2604

Market
Reaction score
I was thinking about plumbing one of these in the returns for a 30 cube. Should I even bother?
prod_display.cfm

They are a great way to alternate flow. More effective when used in a CLS but I have used them on my return before on a 30 Cube with a MAG 9.5.

I've had three of the 3/4in models. I used one of these on a 22g cube with a mag 12 return, it worked great and I was able to avoid cluttering up my small tank with powerheads.

That being said they need to be cleaned every three to six months. You will save yourself a lot of trouble by using true unions to facilitate the cleaning. Also screen the intake of your pump real good and you might get away with less cleaning.

I got rid of mine because they were too small for my new tank and feel that it is much more efficient to use stream pumps in the tank to generate flow. Hope that helps

Merlin

Thanks, I will give it a shot. I have been eyeing them for a while.

Ahh, the octopus. Supposedly some are available now where you can take them apart for easier cleaning. The old ones are sealed. You might look around and find them sommwheres...

yup, about the cleaning. one day it'll work fine and then one day flow on only oneside. make sure that you have easy access to the sqwd so you can clean it, buy two and you don't have to worry about lost flow for a day.

etoh

Back