Do You Give Your Fish a Break?

joeyprice

Reaction score
Do you dial back the flow overnight to let your fish sleep in peace?
My wave makers have a schedule function, just wondering if I should be using it

Nah. They will find a calm spot. The ocean current does not just stop at night. For years people have used AC pumps that are harder to do that at night and just blow a constant speed.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

My current builds up throughout the day- starts at a pulse ~ 30% power, then builds until 60% by mid day and becomes a constant flow, till it dies back down and returns to pulsing. Just a personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good question: is low flow good in the first place? Does that apply for all fish?

Im in line with everyone else, i dont want the flow to stop. And i have observed fish finding seemingly calm spots to sleep.

Another good question: is low flow good in the first place? Does that apply for all fish?

Im in line with everyone else, i dont want the flow to stop. And i have observed fish finding seemingly calm spots to sleep.

I think that’s the thing- as long as the fish have a calm place to escape the current and aren’t being blasted 24/7, it should be fine running constantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may be thinking backwards. Because there is more opportunity, things are harder to find in large areas than small ones.

I think if you were to apply the hairy ball theorem to a volume rather than a surface area, you would find similar results. In other words, there is guaranteed (or at least practically guaranteed) calm space in your tank. If so, its probably easier to find such locations in your 4' tank than in the wide ocean.

...now if the goal is to find a large quantity of dead spaces, the ocean has more opportunity than your tank, so its more likely to find 1 million dead spaces in the ocean than in your tank. But if you only need a limited/small number, then your tank should provide the easier solution.

Of course, we'd have to dive a bit deeper into fluid dynamics for a more full explanation, and use modeling that incorporates the irregular shapes of rockwork and friction between bodies...
TLDR; a lack of calm spaces in an aquarium should be a non issue.

You may be thinking backwards. Because there is more opportunity, things are harder to find in large areas than small ones.

I think if you were to apply the hairy ball theorem to a volume rather than a surface area, you would find similar results. In other words, there is guaranteed (or at least practically guaranteed) calm space in your tank. If so, its probably easier to find such locations in your 4' tank than in the wide ocean.

...now if the goal is to find a large quantity of dead spaces, the ocean has more opportunity than your tank, so its more likely to find 1 million dead spaces in the ocean than in your tank. But if you only need a limited/small number, then your tank should provide the easier solution.

Of course, we'd have to dive a bit deeper into fluid dynamics for a more full explanation, and use modeling that incorporates the irregular shapes of rockwork and friction between bodies...
TLDR; a lack of calm spaces in an aquarium should be a non issue.

Lol @ ActiveAngel…no, no fluid dynamics please. Still trying to wrap my head around reefing.
Au contraire, I want to see @ActiveAngel 's modeling data and maybe a video tutorial :p

Au contraire, I want to see @ActiveAngel 's modeling data and maybe a video tutorial :p
Lol, i wasnt really offering. Just stating that diving into fluid mechanics, even at a basic level, is the next step. But i appreciate it 😜

But maybe later. Im currently up to my neck in nutrient uptake and biomass modeling at work these days. Its a lot.

I would turn off the closed loop and wavebox at night. But that was more a wife complaining about the noise thing. I did notice a lot of fish would sleep out in the open areas since it was calm.

Back