Do you know what these are? And are they bad?

mirabitok

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to the hobby and my tank has been up and running with livestock for about 3 months, I have a few pictures if things that have popped up on the live rock that I was wondering what they are and if they are harmful. I'm looking at the white fuzzy stuff in the first picture, the little hairs in the second and the little green spots in the third? Thanks for all your help!!

Edit: Ok the pics are out of order now but pretty self explanatory

Edit:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
887075=47230-image.jpg
>
887075=47230-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
887075=47240-image.jpg
>
887075=47240-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
887075=47241-image.jpg
>
887075=47241-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

the third pic is a bunch of tube worms harmless in the tank but make sure they dont build up in and on your equipment as they can jam up moving parts that only kick on every now and then. i had some growing inside the magnet area of my vortech wetside and didnt know it till i opened it up to clean it.

Also, tube worms are worse than legos to step on or get stabbed by when working on the tank... they are the bane of my sumps existence.

renoeb;887114 wrote: Also, tube worms are worse than legos to step on or get stabbed by when working on the tank... they are the bane of my sumps existence.

Really... wow they look soft and like that couldn't harm a fly.

nope they're hard as a rock. at least the ones in the third pic. the ones in the first and second pic look a little diffrent but if they're the same then they hurt like hell if you try to pick up something and one of those things stabs you in the finger

I see calcareous tube worms (harmless, except as noted that they're tough on hands), and in the third pic I see some sponge. Also harmless.

OK Awesome! Are the little hairs sticking out of the rock just smaller versions? or are they something else?

Back