Do you rinse your frozen foods?

geno

Market
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is necessary .. do you rinse your frozen food before feeding? Is there THAT much bad stuff used in the processing of these cubes?

Thanks,
-gene

The only reason I don't is I add selcon and garlic to my food. If I didn't I would rinse.

I used to rinse the frozen food with RO water but it just became too much of a pain in the ***. Now I'm more like meh and just feed them after thawing it out. Though I will try and drain off any extra liquid.

Pop it in cup. Add aminos and garlic. Add some tank water to thaw and baste away!

Stacy22 -- precisely what I do now. It seems in a 125 one cube twice per day would be hard to really foul the water -- especially with a refugium and skimmer running 24/7.

I feel like a dummy... I've never even thawed. My fish just grab the floating pieces and chase each other around until it's dissloved.

I thaw in tank water, then let the food settle to the bottom of the cup, and suck out the water and shoot in the tank to get my dendros to open before I start basting all the polyps

If you have the time/patience to let it thaw and rinse with RO then do it. Lately, I have just been throwing enough frozen for 2 days into a cup with zoe and garlic then putting the unused portion in the fridge.

I thaw with no water. Then drain out what was in the cup and then add tank water, mix up and baste away. I am following this thread as rinsing food does seem to make since I've read in the past the phosphates from what drains off the frozen is really high. I am curious about what ares had to say about the bits on the frozen for the corals. Is this really significant? Do you loose alot rinsing the food or is it a better gain? I am curious to see peoples viewpoints.

I guess I spoil my fish. I slice off and chop up the food, add a bit of Xtreme Garlic, mix together and wait about 15 minutes...serves 5.

Rinsing is better. With as much as we put into our tanks, one tiny little step more can save us trouble in the long run.

As far as coral feeding off of the tiny pieces, they won't get much unless you're target feeding.

I rinse with cold water until thawed, squeeze out all the goo, and then soak in just enough vitamins and garlic to dampen it. then i feed with tweezers/tongs, squeezing out the excess vitamins and garlic on the side of the container. this way the fish get plenty of nutrients soaked into the food and i'm not dumping liquid organics that will do nothing but increase nitrates and phosphates into the tank.

I used to throw it in the tank. Caused algae and an overflowing skimmer. I now thaw it in tank water and rinse it in my net.

Back