Do you vacuum substrate during water changes?

spike

Sponsor
Reaction score
Title says it all. Do you vacuum? Do you every time you change water? Do it occasionally? Or never do it.

Out of 20galon change that I do, Ill vaccum a 5 gallon bucket worth. and the sump too!.....slackers!!

I figure the bacteria in the sand are there to eat the stuff settling to the bottom, plus if i stir it up, I have to change my filter sock more often. So i don't vacuum it up. But that's just me.

your sand in part of your denitifying filter. The only thing you should have to do is suck up some cyno now and then, and add some once a year.

when i try to vacum my algae off the sand it just ends up getting in a big ball and the vacum wont suck it up so i have to scoop it out with a net. Not really sure why this is but it seems to work for me.

Every time. Like Jade, about a 5 gallon bucket worth every water change. And I do water changes weekly.

mysterybox;201594 wrote: hey Ramone, u need any Salifert or api test kits?
Why you ask Ralph? Have some you want to get rid of? But to answer your question, yes. I have the saltwater kit. Also Alk but have lost my instructions, calcium, phosphate.

Yes. U can have them. There opened, not perfect, but free. I switched to all Elos except my DD merck phosphate kit.

washowi;201894 wrote: what's a vaccum?

here:

showthread.php

Back