Doctor Aquarium

cameron

Market
Reaction score
Any one ever use this or know anything about it?

a>

That's very neat. Great Find. I wonder if you could just data log and store your tanks info? The software in not that expensive it would be a neat toy to play with.

Sprayin70 wrote: That's very neat. Great Find. I wonder if you could just data log and store your tanks info? The software in not that expensive it would be a neat toy to play with.

This appears to be a data logging program that they also promote.

a>

Well it turns out that it has a free 30 day trial offer. I downloaded it and have been playing with it. It seems like a cool thing to have for the obsessed reefer. Wait who is obsessed? LOL!!!

YA Cameron, this is right up your ally... ;) I wonder if X10 will work for me since I have my internet running through my electrical lines. You guys try it and let me know how it goes! My Media Center PC can also control my fish tank?!? Nothing better!!! (Now if it only works with Vista!)

It is old that is why I figured someone would know something about it. As for cost, it isn't really more expensive than the higher end control units that use X10 technology as well. If I had some X10 automation in the home, I would probably try it. If nothing else, I would like to see if it could "dim" the hydor pumps I have. I don't know if it would work, but I would like to try it. Much cheaper wavemaker than an AC frequency modulator.

It's pretty cool, but by the time you start adding the costs of the software, the interface board, the probes, to get everything running and then throw in that you need a computer always on in your fish room to acquire data, I'd say you're better off with an Aquacontroller 3.

As mentioned, it's an antiquated parallel interface which means that it will have a maximum of 15 feet with 12 being safer for data. 15 feet of cable doesn't go very far, so you're talking about having a computer pretty much right next to your aquarium.

Neat for the DIY tinkerer with a computer to spare.

Most of the other controllers out there still use serial interfaces for data logging which isn't much better.

I am not advocating buying this thing as it may be a piece of crap. I was wondering if anyone ever used it? If it works as advertised, you could setup one wicked data interface section. Cost breakdown:

Software - $35 bucks
6 X10 SuperSockets (to control up to 12 devices) - $70
FireCracker X10/PC Interface - $10
Used Laptop off Ebay - $100
DrDaq w temp and PH Probe - $185

That totals out to $400 and you have some serious ability to expand including a webserver for remote administration. A similarly priced AC III unit would run over $400.

Serial cable length is greatly dependent on com speed. If the speed is around 9600 baud or less (which is way more than needed for these kinds of applications), the length can be 50 to 150 feet, depending on the quality of the cable.

My point with the AC3 is that it comes pre-packaged (low setup needs, has an ethernet port which means cable lengths in excess of 300 feet (or even a WAP), is small, has an embedded web server and you can get the data off using the aquanotes software. It's more $$$, but not so much that it isn't worth it for the ease of solution.

The DrDaq thing is for the person who likes to tinker and sees that as a benefit. :) That's cool, too.

I am probably going to switch to the AC3 at some point. I like my RKII, but find it a bit limiting on the stuff I want to do. If I had the X10 modules laying around, I would try that software though. I could certainly see me writing some slick graphing software to run on the DrDaq module.

Back