Does anyone HATE their cleaner shrimp?

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
You know, when I was was first researching what I wanted to put in my tank, I was most excited about cleaner shrimp. I read that they were friendly, and helpful, and oh-so pleasant. They'd jump in your hand, clear parasites, and everything. Nature's little miracles.

Well, I have had mine for a couple of months, and I all but hate them. I have been so tempted to eat them. I love boiled shrimp, grilled shrimp, shrimp gumbo, steak and shrimp, fried shrimp, etc.

I like to spot feed my LPS every few days, and the shrimp make it almost impossible. I have tried feeding them first, swatting them away, scaring them with a net... They just don't care. They trample the corals, dig inside to pull out food that is already ingested... blah... I hate them. I'm running to Wal Mart to get some cocktail sauce.

Yeah that happens....greedy lil buggers. Mine has gotten so old and large tho he just chills in his territory. Not to mention I shoot a lot of food over his way when i feed my LPS so he has no reason to go hunting.

My Hawkfish loves cleaner shrimp..The little ******* has eaten 6 of them....

I've tried that. It's like they just want more. They will also hard it, I've notice, trying to carry around a big wad, still collecting more. I tried giving them pellets, as it keeps them busy longer, but they will just toss it for some mysis any day of the week.

try spot feeding with a 2 liter bottle. cut the bottom of and feed through the top of the bottle. This will allow you to direct feed and not over feed your shrimp. Or allow him to eat all the food.

Stroid;143676 wrote: try spot feeding with a 2 liter bottle. cut the bottom of and feed through the top of the bottle. This will allow you to direct feed and not over feed your shrimp. Or allow him to eat all the food.

I have actually considered something like that. My idea was to get some kind of netting with weights on the bottom, and a halo/ring on top. That way it would drape over rock work.

I swear mine ate a hole through the side of my yellow watchman goby.

I didn't know they would/could do that.

I give mine a piece of squid before I feed my lps. Its chewy so it takes him a long time to finish it and he prefers it to the pellets I tend to feed my LPS.

Even still... he will occasionally tear up an LPS to get the food inside. Very aggravating to say the least.

FutureInterest;143703 wrote: I give mine a piece of squid before I feed my lps. Its chewy so it takes him a long time to finish it and he prefers it to the pellets I tend to feed my LPS.

Even still... he will occasionally tear up an LPS to get the food inside. Very aggravating to say the least.

You feed your LPS pellets? What kind? I have tried to feed my trumpet a pellet and it spit it back out. Like mysis and brine, though.

And I actually have 3 cleaners, so that may also be a problem. I may reduce down to 1-2 so it will be easier to keep them busy...

Just formula 1 pellets and sometimes formula 2.

Here's a great vid to watch when you're pissed at your cleaner:
watch

wow....now I know why they are called pistol shrimp....i always wondered that....so cool.

I actually love my cleaners but I kno what you mean with the LPS feeding...they can get very annoying.... would do exactly what was mentioned earlier and just use a 2 liter PEPSI bottle cut in half and put that around the coral you are trying to feed. It will take longer but your shrimp wont be bale to steal the food and youll be able to keep them for all their good things.

Since I usually feed after lights out, the other thing Ill do is Ill shoot the mysis into the cleaners "house" while he is "sleeping." Basically, they get fed first. That way they already have food in front of them and they dont have to swim around to find it.

Back