Does anyone have a diy on a auto top off.

codywylie

Market
Reaction score
Trying to get a auto top off on my tank but not sure which way to go. Has anyone attempted a diy on there tank with the float valve or should I come out of pocket and get sensors with the Hydor system?

cody wylie lawrenceville

go with an autotopoff.com setup its cheaper than the hydor one, easy to setup and its pretty reliable. the only issue i have with it is that the wires from the float switch to the controller box are pretty short but as long as you keep the controller from getting wet then its works great. you do need your own pump though. i run a tom aqualifter with mine

Or search "Rich's DIY ATO" if you want to build on for pennies. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks picoreefguy.. just ordered
1698a1b0998fe7791a1d2d0dddc5ae04.jpg
alt="" />

cody wylie lawrenceville

strongly suggest using a float that run on 12vdc. that LQQKs like 120vac. if the float leaks it will shock you. Rich made one as I and many others

showthread.php

Ok ,but all the pumps and skimmer and return pump all 120 volts? They could short out and deliver a shock as well..what's the difference?

cody wylie lawrenceville

I would guess that black box has a voltage converter, but maybe not. It just seems a lot larger than necessary for a simple splice with the switch.

The difference is the pump is encapsulated reducing the risk. At the very least, make sure it is on a GFI protected power source.

rdnelson99;1066379 wrote: The difference is the pump is encapsulated reducing the risk. At the very least, make sure it is on a GFI protected power source.

Party pooper. Nothing wrong with a little flash and bang in someone's life :thumbs:

But yeah, in all seriousness, I had them make outlets around the tank in the new house GFCI. Better safe than sorry.

Back