Does anyone somehow insulate rodi in winter, is it necessary?

ryanremle

Reaction score
Just wondering what people o in winter with their rodi, if anything. Have got one setup in the garage and with temperatures dropping it got me thinking if it needs some type of protection so the water in it doesn't freeze. Does anyone do anything or has experience shown it is not really needed? Thanks

Does it get below freezing in your garage? My house is a split level, so some of the heat from the living room keeps the garage warm (living room floor not insulated). Temp doesn't ever really get below 50. If it doesn't actually get below freezing in the garage then it shouldn't be a problem.

They are pretty easy to take down, given how they are mounted. If you are concerned, then you could just take it down and bring it in. Just be sure to keep using it so the RO membrane doesn't foul.

Our garage is attached-not really sure how cold it gets in there. May take it down and put a cup of water in there to see if anything happens.

Mine is in my garage and I've never insulated it. So far, without issue. My garage door is double insulated and two walls of the garage are against heated areas. Half the ceiling is against a heated area. Push comes to shove, I have an electric heater that will heat the entire garage in about 15 minutes but so far that's not been an issue where it's gotten below probably 50 degrees in there.

Keep in mind that product production goes down substantially the colder it is, however quality of product gets better. If quality is not an issue, run an extra length of coiled up tubing in a bucket with water and a heater.

ryanremle;996999 wrote: Our garage is attached-not really sure how cold it gets in there. May take it down and put a cup of water in there to see if anything happens.
Buy cheap wall thermometer and check it the coldest part of the night or day. If it doesn't come close to freezing I wouldn't sweat it.

Mine is on the back screened in porch. I'm worried about he same thing. I wrapped in in two beach towels. Fingers crossed

Back