Does everyone get their valves at BRS, are there other places?

sharis100

Supporting
Reaction score
Like the title says, where do you get your ball valves and gate valves? I just ordered our first order for the plumbing of the replacement system and that stuff is expensive. So, wondering if there are other sources if I need more.
Thanks.

I get most everything from Lowe's or Home Depot. I've used the unions, pipe, fitting and ball valves and they've always work fine for me. They're clunky, white-only and still pretty expensive but readily available. I think I'd be in big trouble if I had to order online since I always seem to forget something or get the wrong configuration.

I also get my ball valves, unions, and other fittings from Home Depot or Lowe’s.

I’ve been wanting to try gate valves, but haven’t yet.

Ok, will be checking out all these suggestions. Thank you so much! Can’t wait until the floors are done so that this build can push forward!

Avoid HD and Lowes for valves; they're crap.
Check out savko.com for another online option.

You can always search amazon for Spears or Asahi valves. Asahi are the best, hands down. Spears are a close second. Both will turn with ease 10 years from now like they did on day 1.

Valves are expensive, but it's worth spending the money because you want them to turn when you need them to. You also don't need them to leak.

Ball valves are designed for on/off operation.
Gate valves are designed for tuning.

Schedule 80 is cheap here along with real gate valves. Spears is worth the money difference. My other advice is buy true union valves, you will thank yourself later.

Last edited:
If you ever make it to Cartersville, mid supply has all the high quality valves you could ever need and they have great prices.

Avoid HD and Lowes for valves; they're crap.
Check out savko.com for another online option.

You can always search amazon for Spears or Asahi valves. Asahi are the best, hands down. Spears are a close second. Both will turn with ease 10 years from now like they did on day 1.

Valves are expensive, but it's worth spending the money because you want them to turn when you need them to. You also don't need them to leak.

Ball valves are designed for on/off operation.
Gate valves are designed for tuning.

Couldn't agree more, regarding the quality of their valves. A true plumbing supply store is a better alternative (Apex, Ferguson, or better yet, small/local/independent places).

I'm in a similar boat, plumbing a new tank for the first time in many years, and am looking for a quality 1" gate - so thanks for bringing this up! Of course, they are out of the 1" FPT x FPT (no way I'm gluing a $40 valve!!).

On a somewhat related note, I did pick up these cool compression unions at Home Depot tonight. The 1" NPT end should thread right into the bulkhead on my overflow, and the PVC drain pipe will get sealed by the rubber gasket. No gluing. And the compression fit should be OK in the drain side (wouldn't trust them on the return side).

Please let us know if you find another quality source!

--Ron

Attachments

• IMG_5568.jpg
    IMG_5568.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5567.jpg
    IMG_5567.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Back