Does Purple Up work?

steagfs

Reaction score
I am looking for some more purple in my LR. Does anyone have any experience with purple up?

Thanks

I am currently using it and here is what I can say.

Like everything else some will say it works and some will say not but most of my rock was homemade and would not ever get any color.

I have started to notice a beautiful purple color coming out in the rock now.

I can not attest that this is from the purple up or if it is from a few pieces of very old, real rock that I out in over the last month.

One thing I can state is this. The home made rock had zero color on it when I got it and it had been in a tank for 8 months. Now spots of purple are becoming quite apparent.

also it can really mess up your ph overnight. i would say you can use it if nothing is in the tank. but if there is livestock then do not use it. i would not risk the life of my fish just for something that is not nessasary.

blind1993;70561 wrote: also it can really mess up your ph overnight. i would say you can use it if nothing is in the tank. but if there is livestock then do not use it. i would not risk the life of my fish just for something that is not nessasary.

I've been using purple up in my heavily stocked reef tank for over a year now. You must know what purple up is before you make such comment. Purple up is ionic calcium, 1-5 micro calcium carbonate, and some iodine. How would this kill ur fish? It does not alter your pH, rather it makes it more stable since you have more buffing capacity in the water with the added calcium.

Yes it's prefectly safe for reef tank since it was made mainly for reef tanks. If it wasn't then there would be so many complaints that the manufacturer would taken it off the market by now.

Dose this at night, 2 cap max for 100gallons of water, the water will remain cloudy for 2 hours.

I used Purple Up on some very ugly white live rock I got off Ebay...... It's hard to say if it works or not, but personally I believe it does because the rock did get much more purple about a month after I started dosing it.

I believe what blind was refering to is an overdose of the stuff. Your PH may drop if you OD your tank. Don't use it if you dont have a Calcium Test Kit. Dose your tank to 400 to 450 ppm (420 being the target----easy enough to remember----).

The guys on WWM can't seem to say enough bad things about it, but I've used to (at first regularly, now only as needed) for a year now with no neg results and it does seem to work....

Now, for the million dollar question..... Is the Calcium in Purple Up also benificial to SPS, as I've heard (read) that SPS reguires different Calcium that PU contains? I do not have SPS so I've never completed my reseach on the topic......

I'd say buy it if you also plan to test its levels in the tank, every reefer needs a calcium test kit anyway, so you might already have one.

ouling;70569 said:
Yes it's prefectly safe for reef tank since it was made mainly for reef tanks. If it wasn't then there would be so many complaints that the manufacturer would taken it off the market by now.quote]

LOL! Have you looked at half of the crap that's on the market right now? Some just pollutes the water, other stuff does absolutely nothing (like the ion exchanger that will make your water crystal clear made from rare earth magnets..hahaha, does anyone remember this thing?)

Anyhoo, don't waste your cash. It will spread on its own soon enough.

I'm talking about purple up here. Is it not safe or reef tanks? If thats the case then you need to tell me and everyone else. Marine Fish gave me 2 bottles of it for free when I bought a chiller from them, never saw any ill effect done to my tank, and the Coraline was spreading pretty fast-maybe due to other factors also. If you can prove to me that it don't work then i'll buy your argument.

In theory, according to WWM, coraline requires Calcium Glocolate sp</em> (or Glutimate sp</em>, I forget which) a sugar based calcium which is different than what Purple Up contains, so they say it will do nothing and is junk.........

In practice, so many people has said that it did work, that it is hard to deny that it does......

Bottom line.... No one has ever said that it will actually harm your tank WHEN USED AS DIRECTED (....blind...), so why not try it. It's only a 10 dollar investment, and we ALL know that in this hobby that a waste of ten bucks is a drop in the bucket!

Ouling-
Not arguing about it being safe. Just saying that not everything that is bad will be taken off the market by the manufacturer as you suggested. Just becasue something is being sold, doesn't mean that it is good. Especially in this industry where there are really no independent testing and so many other factors play a part.

My question is what are you trying to accomplish or why are you asking?

Depending on that answer, I have to agree with Andy/leveldrummer if you're calcium and alk are in order, then you're wasting your money in the long run.

Coralline aglae if that is what you're after is also dependant on the amount of light. Too much light and you will on get coralline in low light areas. Like the bottom of the LR not on top. Coralline can also be a PITA as it grows on the sides of the tank. It is not easy to remove

Eventually, yes, all rock will be covered in coraline, but I know I waited three months and all my white live rock was still mostly all white. After 1 month of dosing purple up, it was MUCH more purple.

Not to mention that you need a calcium supplement anyway for most reefs. If you dont end up buying purple up, you'll just end up buying another calcium product, if you haven't already......

At $12 $15 bucks a bottle that is kind of steep when a jar of kalk is $11 and will make a lot more additive in the long run.

What size tank do you have?

I have a bottle of it...I use it here and there....I like it, seems to work for me. I'll leave it at that.

Save your money and buy Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime in your grocery store over by the canning supplies.Drip it in the tank like you would do Kalk and enjoy your purple rock. Stuff costs $2-3 .The can will last you two years.

Be very careful when dripping Kalking Wasser (CaOH2). It is extremely easy to overdose this, and it must be dripped slowly into the tank- 2 gallon per day for every 100 gallons is the absolute max I would ever do (saturated, not supersaturated), thats if you're very low on calcium and alk, and the drip is taken place when there is no lights.

I would rather do a diluted calcium hydroxide solution if your calcium consumption isn't too high. Maybe just 1 TSP per 2 gallons of water, more depending on your calcium, alk, and pH readings.

Start testing and adding Magnesium also. If not then there will be a point later on, after 20 gallons of Kalking Wasser, that the calcium hits the supersaturation point and everything falls out.

I would recommend it for "experts" because it can easily be abused if not careful.

ouling;70676 wrote: Be very careful when dripping Kalking Wasser (CaOH2). It is extremely easy to overdose this, and it must be dripped slowly into the tank- 2 gallon per day for every 100 gallons is the absolute max I would ever do (saturated, not supersaturated), thats if you're very low on calcium and alk, and the drip is taken place when there is no lights.

I would rather do a diluted calcium hydroxide solution if your calcium consumption isn't too high. Maybe just 1 TSP per 2 gallons of water, more depending on your calcium, alk, and pH readings.

Start testing and adding Magnesium also. If not then there will be a point later on, after 20 gallons of Kalking Wasser, that the calcium hits the supersaturation point and everything falls out.

I would recommend it for "experts" because it can easily be abused if not careful.

Another reason why I used the Mrs. Wages. It is "almost" foolproof and you stand less of a chance of overdosing.

46bfinga;70690 wrote: Another reason why I used the Mrs. Wages. It is "almost" foolproof and you stand less of a chance of overdosing.

Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime is Ca(OH)2, same thing as kalking wasser; 99.369% sure.

I don't think the cost justifies the result. As others have said, the coraline will grow on it's own if the parameters are right. I, for one, don't like coraline. IMO it is a waste of calcium. The purple is pretty and all, but keeping it at bay in a tank can get to be a hassle. I spend as much time keeping it out of my tank as a lot of people do getting it to grow.

ouling;70692 wrote: Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime is Ca(OH)2, same thing as kalking wasser; 99.369% sure.

Yeah your right,but I was under the Impression that It was harder to overdose then the Kalk,Not sure why. I may be giving bad info and apologize if I am.But I think I remember reading that in the chemistry forum over at RC.Either way it is cheap and I never had any problems with overdosing or Calcium storms in my tank.I was dripping 2-3 tablespoons to one gallon of water for around 7 months in my 46.

Back