Dogface puffer question (weird)

thedeper

Market
Reaction score
Ok, I was just watching my puffer fish swim around and act goofy when all of the sudden his right side fin(dont know the correct terminology) was sucked into his gill slit or gills or whatever it is. I just thought it was something they did until I noticed him struggling to push it out. It went on for about a minute and I was panicking trying to think of a way to dislodge it until he finally forced it out. This cant be normal can it? What can I possibly do if I see it happen again and he is unable to force it back out...This is by far the weirdest thing I have seen in my tank yet, it was kind of like watching a dogface suicide attempt.

Same happened here.

It should come out on it's own. If it doesn't or if you think he's having trouble you will need to help him along.

Catch him in a net, attempt to coax the fin out. At some point during this ordeal (and it will be an ordeal) I assure you the fin will come out.

Thankfully he forced it out himself, I freaked out because I had never seen anything like it before. It only went on for about 30-45 seconds but I was like a deer in headlights.

Man he just did it again...is this something that I should be watching a little more closely? I don't want him going all suicidal on me.

Is it a physical thing like the fin is not working and being sucked in by the force of the gills, or is the fin moving on its own? Water flow?

Sorry I've just never heard of that and I just wanted to know if it's a behavioral issue so I can add it to my info.

Well the first time I saw it happen it seemed like he kind of sucked it in on his own. He was in his little sitting area he stays in with his fins tucked by his side and he took like a deep breath or whatever and it got sucked in. His fins work great though, he is swimming around like crazy right now, perfectly fine.

Back