Don’t work on your tank at 4 AM

This is why I like a thermostatically controlled heater instead of the titanium ones.

Mainly the Eheim Jager. Hooked to the apex of course.

+1 ^

for clarity:
You need at least 2 layers of control. So, a Ranco or Inkbird or Apex in addition to the heater’s internal thermostat.

The theory goes like this:
2 different controls are set 2+ degrees apart, to avoid interfering with one another.
Then, if one fails, the 2nd will take over and prevent temperature run away.

* run away heaters ‘may’ be the #1 reason for specimen deaths and/or system crashes.

+1 ^

for clarity:
You need at least 2 layers of control. So, a Ranco or Inkbird or Apex in addition to the heater’s internal thermostat.

The theory goes like this:
2 different controls are set 2+ degrees apart, to avoid interfering with one another.
Then, if one fails, the 2nd will take over and prevent temperature run away.

* run away heaters ‘may’ be the #1 reason for specimen deaths and/or system crashes.
My Inkbird sensor was not in the water lol. I was fixing some stuff in sump and the probe someone got loose. The apex to which the inkbird controller was attached to was set to “ON”. Both 300 watt heaters were running to try to warm up my house lol.

I should have listened to your advice. I can home from vacation around midnight last night and my extra water container for my ATO was almost empty so I switched back to my normal one. Somehow I bumped my ATO line and it dumped 5-6g of water on the floor rip

I should have listened to your advice. I can home from vacation around midnight last night and my extra water container for my ATO was almost empty so I switched back to my normal one. Somehow I bumped my ATO line and it dumped 5-6g of water on the floor rip
15F96394-2398-4C04-81F6-8058C0DA00C4.png
I don’t know what I did , but my readings are really off. I might have damaged the probe moving it around lol. But it hasn’t been normal since. I haven’t had a day off to recalibrate and retest everything

I had a my Eheim with a thermostat running into a thermostat controlled outlet for redundancy for a while. I decided to just not run a heater a while back and cut out all chance of failure. Haven't really seen any issues. Our house stays between 72 and 74 and the lights and equipment keep the tank 76-80 most of the time.

Best thing I've ever done as far as reefing goes is run an RODI line through the crawl space from the kitchen sink/rodi unit to the ATO container under the stand through a float valve. Turn that thing on when it's low, go to bed, kick off in the morning. Went out of town for 10 days the other week and just turned the RODI line to "on" to keep the ATO res topped off and had an autofeeder going. 2nd best idea was getting 5 liter res. for the doser. I'm a pretty lazy reefer.

Back