Don't put Large Snails in the Overflow

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
Last weekend I picked up a couple of large Turbo Snails and threw then in the overflow for a good cleaning. If I wasn't awake that would have cost me a return pump and possibly worse. One decided to make his way into the downpipe and he was large enough to restrict the flow and drain the sump.

I bet some of the veteran reefers already knew this.

You did what??? Sorry that you had this problem, but who suggests that idea to you? :(
I only have had drilled tanks for reefs, and my next build is gonna be durso overflow, but the only cleaning I think is gonna need it there is me, cleaning it up manually.

Nah, I'm with ya. My overflows have gotten nasty plenty of times, and I did use snails in one of them to clean it up. I wouldn't have ever thought about one of them heading down the pipe. Good warning!

I'm not sure where I got the idea. They did a great job cleaning though.

With a durso, you can drill holes around the perimeter of the drain opening (all the way around in an even circle). Then use fishing line, to weave a tennis racket like pattern. Now you have some protection :)

DawgFace;944110 wrote: For cleaing, drain with water change and syphon nasty out.

I agree....as I actually, cleaned mine yesterday, long overdue. I yanked one of my Dursos out, and all of it went into sump for removal. I poured a few gallons of fresh water in it. Another method I have used is if you get an extension for your Lowes Bucket Head wetvac, works quite well, albeit not quite as good as draining it entirely.

I do this twice a year....

Been there :)

Years ago I had a client with a straight-up standpipe. This was pre-Durso invention. Somehow a Turbo managed to climb up the overflow box, over the top, and into the overflow chamber, and then up the standpipe. It was narrow enough to drop into the top of the standpipe but too wide to get around the corner beneath the tank and into the sump.

I got a panicked phone call when the sump was seemingly dry but the tank was a hair's breadth from overflowing (whew... too close!)

Took a minute to figure out what it was, corner tank and had to dismantle the plumbing to find the little booger. Needless to say, the next order of business was an intake screen on the standpipe.

The Durso style pipes made by AGA/Aqueon come with an intake screen. Perfecto doesn't, and most DIYers don't add one either. I recommend them - keeps fish and snails and who knows what else from getting lodged.

Jenn

I'll certainly look into a screen. I've small small travel to the sump with no problems and even had a wrasse living in the overflow area for a few days, a screen would made me feel better.

This is pretty much what I gonna have in my drain. Inside the overflow: 2" PVC screen, that I'm switching for a clean one whenever is dirty or has accumulated junk or coralline algae, then the 2" inch PVC gate valve for controlling the flow in the drain line, just under the tank. I decided that I was going to use this screens inside due to any possible problem that I could have from snails, fish or whatever could get trap inside the overflow box.
eqezaba4.jpg
alt="" />

Back