Don't think its popeye

ga_daisy

Market
Reaction score
I posted a thread last week regarding my Purple Firefish and Pop-eye. She barely swims around at all, BUT yesterday she was a bit more out in the open. It appears that she no long has an eye! I think she slammed into the Birds Next that was broken and put her eye out completely. There appeared to be a patch of grayish looking matter over the area at first.....now there appears to be an empty socket.

She continues to pretty much stay on the bottom under "her" rock, with her bad side turned towards the rock.

Bummer. Has the socket healed?

Bruce the Batfish lived for about 5 years with just one eye. We avoided an infection when Rat B****** the undulated triggerfish decided to do an eye-ectomy on Bruce, by isolating him and treating him with antibiotics.

I've seen a few one-eyed wrasses over the years too.

If the fish avoids getting an infection before the injury heals over, it can survive with just one eye.

The behavior you are describing makes sense - if she can't see on that side, best to keep to a spot where nobody can sneak up on her.

Jenn

I'm concerned about her not eating. I've only seen her eat a small bit...THUS I think I'm over feeding the tank making sure that some drops near her. I'm mostly sticking to some small pellets that sink (so I can aim) and are laced with garlic.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Jen!

You might want to try some enriched brine shrimp or mysis (from frozen)... a bit more like what they find in the wild and somewhat more palatable. Use a turkey baster ($1 at the dollar store if you don't already have one in your tank kit!) to aim it her way. I think you may have better luck with that.

Jenn

I gave away a blue damsel I inherited with a tank (to Rob). When I was moving rocks to catch him, I think (in fact I'm pretty sure) I mashed him with a rock. His eye did the same... puffed up and turned grey, then later fell out completely (the latter part after Rob adopted him).

He's still living happily (albeit one-eyed) in Rob's 55. In fact my daughter got a little visitation with him tonight while Rob and I worked on his canopy.

Are eye patches in vogue for fish these days? lol

Ok...question guys, the fish that have survived their eye injuries......do they ever get to the point that they are out and about in the aquarium again? I'm sure she just has completely healed up yet, as its only been a week. But, I'm just wondering if she is going to continue her isolation or if she will infact become her "old self" again.

She didn't make it. Strangely enough, she had seemed to be doing better. I'm not sure if it was infection or if she wasn't getting enough to eat. Its a bit of a relief.....I hated seeing her always hiding under the rock and not just being a normal happy healthy fish.

Sorry about your loss. Never thought I would like them, but I got one cheap for my planted and the next thing I new I had spent a year finding a mate. Hope you find a healthy lil guy down the road

Thanks Smoothie....

And sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure you and the new bourbon glass will become close and have a long, meaningful and intimate relationship.

Here's to moving on.....

Deana, to answer your question: the blue damsel that lost the eye did go back to acting normal, in fact he did it pretty quickly.

Back