dosing ammonia

qasimja

Market
Reaction score
well i have a 90G tank that's been cycling for almost 2 weeks it seems to be stuck at 0.50PPM ammonia it has 65 lbs of dry rock i started the cycle with 1 raw uncooked shrimp last week the ammonia wasnt getting any higher so i added another shrimp today its still 0.50PPM ammonia and no nitrites or nitrates to speak of

today i got 30 lbs of live rock from the link below and added it into the tank it got here in 2 days the rock does have a slight smell to it so i'm hoping it has alot of die off to boost the ammonia if not what type of ammonia can i use to dose the tank and where can i get it from locally ive never dosed ammonia before i usually use the shrimp method but it doesn't seem to be giving off enough ammonia to start the cycle

a>

Do you have a local Ace Hardware near you? Get the one with no detergents or surfactants.

Yea there's one not too far from me OK I'll do that thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

this is the one. I used it on all my freshwater and I used it on my QT saltwater tank and im cycling my first DT with it now.

ammosm.jpg
alt="" />

fishtank;946672 wrote: this is the one. I used it on all my freshwater and I used it on my QT saltwater tank and im cycling my first DT with it now.

ammosm.jpg
alt="" />

thanks i will pick this up

Haha how can this be a good idea;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowManSnow;947220 wrote: Haha how can this be a good idea;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pee or ammonia? Both have been around for a long time.

well i decided not to dose ammonia i just added another shrimp into the sump and i got a bottle of bio spira thursday i added the whole bottle. here are the test results i got this morning

alt="" />

Well I would say its coming along well since you have nitrite and nitrate registering. I do like to use the ammonia method though. It's always good to test when you think your cycle is complete also. Add enough ammonia to get to 1-2ppm and wait 12 hrs. If ammonia and nitrite are both 0 in 12 hours then you are good to go.

yea my cycle ended i still have an ammonia source and my nitrite and ammonia are both 0 and nitrates are 5 gonna do a water change over the weekend and get ready for some livestock

Back