Dosing box Idea

bcavalli

Market
Reaction score
A bunch of us bought the new Jaebo dosing pumps, so I decided to post this idea in case anyone else was looking for a better option to store your additives other than having a bunch of jugs sitting around. I know there is a couple of options for acrylic single dosing boxes, but in my opinion there way overpriced.

I immediately realized that I hated the look and size limit of the plastic containers. Plus, I'm all about automation and making things as simple as possible. Less mistakes on my part. Lol

I wanted something that would look nice, hold more than one additive, didn't cost an arm and a leg, held more than one gallon and notified me when the level are getting low.

So I decided to build a two compartment acrylic dosing box for Alkalinity and Calcium. It started out as a three compartment and I decided on two larger compartments. Each side holds 1.4 gallons with a low level switch that activates when there is .3 gallons left in each container. The switches will be connected to my apex breakout box and will notify me when the levels get low. The dimensions are 9.5 x 9.5 x 9.5 and I used Weldon 4 with .220 clear acrylic.

Please keep in mind Im a beginner in a lot of things, but especially with using acrylic. I'm learning as I go along, so I did get a few drops of glue I neglected to wipe off. But filled, they shouldn't be noticeable and it still needs to be wiped down from the leak check.

Hopefully this will give some of you guys an idea for those DYI's. I'm sure it could be improved on in many ways and I would really appreciate any suggestions for improvements. This was just the first of several I'll build until I get it perfected. Ultimately it will be a 4 compartment to match the dosing heads.

I hope everyone is having a great reefing day!!!

IMAG3836.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Awesome Brett! Any other pics so I can get more perspective? I assume the Weldon worked just fine?

Looks good, I admire your initiative. I had an idea to add a couple or three compartments to a old 10 gallon and use it for ATO/Dosing container but in all honesty I'm so far behind on my Honey Do's it will be a while before I can do anything.

Thankyou guys I appreciate it. I'll post some more pictures in a little, bit forgive my glueing job. lol. The only thing left is add the hinged lids.

Here are a few pictures of the build. I apologize in advance for the horrible cell phone pictures. The lid is 2.5" deep and will have separate lids on each side to avoid spilling while it's being filled. They will be attached with acrylic hinges which you can get at McCaster-Carr.

IMAG3858.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Top down picture of the lid opening
IMAG3853.jpg
alt="" /></a>

The brackets holding the level switch doubles as a holder for the R/O tubing to keep it near the bottom.

IMAG3852.jpg
alt="" /></a>

IMAG3857.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Sweet job man, where do we put in our orders for custom job.
You know I'll be needing a few custom sumps shortly.

Thank you Marlon and ended! As soon as I get this perfected I may build a few. Marlon your first on the list!

I finished up the dosing box and now have it service. Here is a picture of the completed project.

IMAG3983.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Brett.....that's a fine job!! Unfortunately, it gives me ideas of what to do and I just don't have the time available to do more than I already am. Darn you!! LOL!!

Thank you Jeff! Lol there is never enough time. I was hoping others might chime in with ways to improve or enhance the design. Myreefclub007 mentioned something to me today that makes a lot of sense, integrating a dosing box into a sump design. Anyone else have other suggestions?

Myreefclub007 mentioned something to me today that makes a lot of sense, integrating a dosing box into a sump design. Anyone else have other suggestions?
I read this thread...

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91784&highlight=pron">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91784&highlight=pron</a>

and thought feh's sump was pretty cool, I believe he said Reef Savvy made it. Between that and and the separate electronic storage he has a good build.

feh's sump
[IMG]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af235/feh1973/sideviewoftubing.jpg alt="" />

Back