Dosing help

genesis

Market
Reaction score
So I have a 140 gallon mixed reef aquarium. I do monthly 25% w/c and do weekly water parameters test. I keep a log of all my test. If I see something is low I use the BRS calculator to determine what to dose manually to get them where I want (BRS supplements). I aim for ca 440, alk 10 dKH, mg 1300. In a effort to make my system more automated I purchased a dosing pump months ago but have yet to start using it. I also use BRS kalkwasser in my 30G ATO which affects my parameters as well.

So where do I start as far as determining my dosing schedule, what to dose, when to dose it, and a good starting amount to dose?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1049901=63862-image.jpg
>
1049901=63862-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Pic of the tank
1049902=63863-image.jpg
>
1049902=63863-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Before dosing, you want to measure your alk, ca, and mag or what ever you plan on dosing the same time every day. Do this for a week or so and even after a waterchange so you can see how much is being used every day. As far as dosing, you can dose as many times a day to reach your desired levels, that's what the BRS and other calculators will help with. Most people will dose small doses throughout the day or at night, to help with pH, instead of one larger dose.

And remember when using a doser that you need to do a manual dose (can be spread it out a bit if things are really out of whack) to bring everything up to where you want it, then use the doser to maintain that level. That is where the daily testing (same time every day) comes into affect, you test to see what your daily consumption is over about a week or two. There will likely be some variation, but doing it over a longer period and averaging the results will get you in the ball park. Further testing will help you to fine tune dosing. Just be careful that you stay consistent with your Kalk, ensuring that you remain constant in your Kalk dosage. If not, you will need to re-evaluate your dosing regimen.

Great advice so far. Consistent testing is the key as your dosing levels will increase or even decrease at times. I do have a question, that someone may be able to chime in. Is dosing kalk necessary when your dosing 2 part? If so what are the benefits? Thanks.

Brandon, the tank is looking great!

Bcavalli;1050010 wrote: Great advice so far. Consistent testing is the key as your dosing levels will increase or even decrease at times. I do have a question, that someone may be able to chime in. Is dosing kalk necessary when your dosing 2 part? If so what are the benefits? Thanks.

Is it necessary, no but it does has its pros. Once you get your parameters in line dosing the kalk acts as a buffer and helps stabilize your current parameters. It helps especially with not having to dose as much Ca supplement. It also helps keep your PH higher being that the PH of just the kalk mix is like 12. With that being said it should only be for those experienced reefers as an accidental overdose can be catastrophic with increasing PH too high.

Bcavalli;1050010 wrote: Great advice so far. Consistent testing is the key as your dosing levels will increase or even decrease at times. I do have a question, that someone may be able to chime in. Is dosing kalk necessary when your dosing 2 part? If so what are the benefits? Thanks.

Thanks, going to have to come visit again whenever I can get up that way
1050037=63886-image.jpg
>
1050037=63886-image.jpg

Back