Dosing Hydrogen Peroxide

gort

Market
Reaction score
Hi

Wanted to see what everyone thinks about this. I have a pulsing xenia problem .. ie its gotten all over.

Read an article about dosing hydrogen peroxide to kill it... kind you buy at Krogers for about 99 cents.

So far its working like a champ and not harming anything else..i have lots of sps and a few softies.. the xenia is shrinking and looks really stressed. I have actually used a baster and applied it directly. A few applications and its over.

I haven't seen anything having an issue..i am doing frequent water changes between dosing. I dose through out the week and water change on the weekend.

A few places I have green hair algea and its fading.. everything looks great. I put a shot of stability in during water changes cause I am afraid it might hurt bacteria..

so far its been great, almost a miracle. I would have had to break down the tank to get of the xenia..

The xenia reacts almost immediately to the dose in the whole tank.. nothing else has any reaction.

what say you good or bad?

Gort;1041547 wrote: Hi

Wanted to see what everyone thinks about this. I have a pulsing xenia problem .. ie its gotten all over.

Read an article about dosing hydrogen peroxide to kill it... kind you buy at Krogers for about 99 cents.

So far its working like a champ and not harming anything else..i have lots of sps and a few softies.. the xenia is shrinking and looks really stressed. I have actually used a baster and applied it directly. A few applications and its over.

I haven't seen anything having an issue..i am doing frequent water changes between dosing. I dose through out the week and water change on the weekend.

A few places I have green hair algea and its fading.. everything looks great. I put a shot of stability in during water changes cause I am afraid it might hurt bacteria..

so far its been great, almost a miracle. I would have had to break down the tank to get of the xenia..

The xenia reacts almost immediately to the dose in the whole tank.. nothing else has any reaction.

what say you good or bad?

why i never want xenia. ever. or gsp near my main rockwork.

imho you will see xenia again after your regiment. they come back after rock is boiled and set out in the sun.

but hey... glad it is working :)

Youre not supposed to dose the tank with peroxide. Youre supposed to use the dosage amount and apply it directly to the stuff you want to kill with a syringe.

That effectively kills what youre after with a concentrated dose while not adding too much to the tank to cause adverse effects.

That said, it works great for algea killing too. Ive dipped rocks in 50/50 peroxide/tank water for up to 10 min and had the rock come out nice and clean and didnt kill soft corals. SPS are good for about 2-3 min.

EnderG60;1041571 wrote: Youre not supposed to dose the tank with peroxide. Youre supposed to use the dosage amount and apply it directly to the stuff you want to kill with a syringe.

That effectively kills what youre after with a concentrated dose while not adding too much to the tank to cause adverse effects.

That said, it works great for algea killing too. Ive dipped rocks in 50/50 peroxide/tank water for up to 10 min and had the rock come out nice and clean and didnt kill soft corals. SPS are good for about 2-3 min.

^ this

Doesn't xenia thrive off of nitrate/po4 in that case hydrogen peroxide will eliminate the nitrate/p04 in that case any other Algea in the tank? But be armfuls with the stuff tank nuke'er if done wrong

Not really, its said xenia does better in dirty water though but mine grows fine in nitrates under 2.

I have found that a quick drop in salinity from 1.025 to 1.022 will kill all xenia in under an hour. Even verified that experiment twice by accident.

Back