dosing kalk from the top off system

cooper

Market
Reaction score
I have been reading about some folks putting kalk in the top off water to help keep ph stable. Your thoughts/ instuctions are welcomed. If anyone has done this, I am wondering what substance you used and how much. I have a ten gallon container for my RO/DI water, a powerhead, and two float switches.

Thanks in advance.

I would get a kalk reactor and hook it up to your ato. U tried mixing kalk in my top off tub as you are considering and it was a mess and did not work that great.

+1 on a kalk reactor, it really needs to be mixed in a sealed container.

I have a 50 gallon tank with a pump and eductor that comes on once a day and the tank drips 24/7 The drip rate is just under my slowest evaporation rate per day and then the auto top off only comes on every two days actually about every 50 hrs. That drip rate does not raise my ph above 8.3. But one would have to consider all the variables before determining that it would work on their own tank. Total water volume co2 exchange calcium reactor 's impact on ph and etc are just a few. I disagree with a kalk reactor being needed. The only advantage to one is really the space needed to use one. The idea that the kalkwasser looses its potency in an open top container is true but it looses so very little that it does not justify a reactor. You can find this info by googling Randy Holmes Farley at reefkeeping magazine. I personally rather drip the effluent than have it come on with topoff due to the gradual addition rather than all at once as with a topoff unit. I also believe it to be less risky than all the variables related to a auto top off device. Also Cooper, I use Mrs. Wages pickling lime.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php</a>
Cooper try this read .I would recommend it if your thinking of adding kalkwasser. Hope it helps.

There is a post by flying army to diy a kalk reactor for your top off. I made one 2 years ago and it is still working great.

I will try and find it but you can search for it.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2039">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2039</a>

found it

I mix kalk in my top-off water. Top-off drips through a float valve. I like the float valve because it always drips, there is never a big dose. I mix a weeks worth at a time.

The mix rate is up to 2 tsp per gallon. After mixing a thin film will form on top of the water, don't mix after it forms. The thin film seals the mix prevents further interaction with the air.

For Kalk I use Mrs. Wadges Pickling Lime.

WARNING: Make sure your system is reliable, if something goes wrong and you lose a lot of water, your top-off is going to spike your system with the kalk mix - this can kill your corals. For example if your skimmer overflows many gallons overnight, or a plumbing leak.

I used to dose kalk via my ato. It worked okay, but it was a pita to do. I hated having to constantly make my topoff water (it was 100% kalkwasswer). It made my ato feel less like an ato and more like manual topoff. It could be that I'm just lazy, but that was one area I didn't want to fool with.

I'm now going with a Nilsen reactor to have more automation.

To answer the question @ if a reactor is required: the only things required for a reef tank are waster changes and ro topoff. Everthing else just makes life A LOT easier and the tank more enjoyable.

I feel that if you are going to dose kalkwasser then a reactor is by far the easiest and simplest way to do it. I know it is the easiest if you don't have a fishroom,closet etc. and even then perhaps. I assume there is a way to drip from a reactor also. I seen a MRC with the dual timers the other day and thought that was pretty cool since you could use it with an additional timer and solenoid valve .

[To answer the question @ if a reactor is required: the only things required for a reef tank are <u>waster changes</u></em> and ro topoff. Everthing else just makes life A LOT easier and the tank more enjoyable.[/QUOTE]
Man I remember them days! :crazy:

I agree that it is not a necessity for a reactor though it would make it easier. I drip a 20 oz bottle of kalk every other day w/3 tsp per gallon pickling lime in my 72g. This has kept my Ph between 8.0 and 8.3 and my calcium between 400 and 430. I've thought of automating but this is working fine. Since I am retired I have the time to putz around. Next project is an ato for the 55 then the 72.

I would suggest a PH Controller if you go this route. I just mix in my top-off and it works fine.

Back