Dosing kalkwasser

vettesarebest

Market
Reaction score
alright so i have the aquadose 2.5 gallon and i am getting it adjusted right now with just water in it and dripping into the sink. I have it dripping 1 drop every 4 seconds. Is this good. Also when you mix the kalkwasser you mix it in a seperate contanier and make sure it is mixed then let it sit for how long?? then you only take out the clear water. am i correct.

Also when is the best time to dose at?? and can i drip it directly into my sump. I would like to obviously keep everything as stable as possible and do this the easiest way. also how long do you dose for??

Thanks guys, still a little nervous about it...............:sad: ..........

I just started dosing Kalkwasser with my topoff. I decided to use a DIY reactor hooked to my topoff bucket. This is controlled by a JBJ ATO with a float switch. The feed pump is an Aqua Lifter. I have the Kalk dripping in to my "sumpfugium" at about 1 drip a second to make up for evaporation.

diy-kalk.jpg
alt="" />

I am testing my calcium and alkalinity daily and have noticed an improvement just in the last couple days. Calcium was 380 ppm and today up to 400 ppm. Alk was 7 dKH and today is up to 9 dKH. You will probably need to do some testing to discover your tanks uptake.

I have a bypass valve that I can use to change the Kalk to pure RO/DI topoff ratio. If the calcium continues to go up say past 425 ppm I can add some pure RO water to the topoff and reduce the Kalk to compensate. My calcium demand is not excessive (yet :unsure: ).

I have added a timer to the ATO/Kalk reactor to turn on the system at night after the lights go out. The Kalkwasser additions have tended to raise the pH a bit so I have started dosing about an hour after the lights go out. The pH tends to fall a bit at night so the Kalkwasser has less of an impact on pH and actually helps to stabilize pH overnight.

THANKS Sammy i just need to get some kalkwasser now!! that seems to be the biggest element of this project!! lol

Yep, my kalk water is also my top off. I just use one of those 5 gallon jugs and dripped it from there.

Maroons15 wrote: THANKS Sammy i just need to get some kalkwasser now!! that seems to be the biggest element of this project!! lol

Kalkwasser is easy enough to come by, just go to kroger and pick up some Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime... its much cheaper than the "real" kalkwasser, and in my opinion purer.

sammy33 wrote: I just started dosing Kalkwasser with my topoff. I decided to use a DIY reactor hooked to my topoff bucket. This is controlled by a JBJ ATO with a float switch. The feed pump is an Aqua Lifter. I have the Kalk dripping in to my "sumpfugium" at about 1 drip a second to make up for evaporation.

diy-kalk.jpg
alt="" />

What parts did you use to create this DIY reactor?

Sammy... I like that reactor... I would love to make one myself as well.

Hey Sammy, I did not realize that you are on RC and this board too. Glad that the Kalk reactor is working out for you. Very easy to build and it works really well. Everyone,I have some pictures on my computer at home (I am at work right now) and I can post a step by step how to build the unit. I do believe that I have an extra one at the house in case someone wants to purchase it from me for the price of the parts or maybe just some frags. You can find a useful thread on RC the title is DIY kalk reactor idea. It is in the DIY forum. I have posted pictures there. Not sure what page of the thread my pictures can be found. :)

Hey Sammy, I did not realize that you are on RC and this board too. Glad that the Kalk reactor is working out for you. Very easy to build and it works really well. Everyone,I have some pictures on my computer at home (I am at work right now) and I can post a step by step how to build the unit. I do believe that I have an extra one at the house in case someone wants to purchase it from me for the price of the parts or maybe just some frags. You can find a useful thread on RC the title is DIY kalk reactor idea. It is in the DIY forum. I have posted pictures there. Not sure what page of the thread my pictures can be found.

I found the directions a while back and have the parts, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But I was curious about the bubbler and how you wnet about setting it up and adjusting it.

Thanks, johnny

Hey Sammy and JustOneMoreTank,

Posting a new thread about this reactor and the setup will probably make a lot of local folks happy!

johnny

Sure would...!

I am in the process of making a top off/kalk doser with float switch that's hooked to my Octopus 3000. Post it on up!!!

Back