Dosing mixture

Not a chemist, so I don't know how those play with each other in a solution. Are you testing for iodine and iron?

100%hydrophylic;977563 wrote: why are you dosing iron?
a>

If you post this in the Reef Central chemistry forum as well, there is a good chance Randy Farley will respond. He's been active on there lately.

I cannot respond because I don't have a clue how all those different things would react with one another.

100%hydrophylic;977567 wrote: I know fundamentally why you would dose iron, but my question i guess more specifically should be:

Is your tank iron deficient or do you have a lot of macro algae that would warrant iron supplementation on a regular basis? also, do you see any benefits that you can directly associate to the iron dosing?

"Iron in Reef Tanks: When Could Supplementation be Most Beneficial?
In many reef tanks, it is not apparent that iron supplementation is beneficial. Perhaps it would be in all reef tanks, and we simply have not yet carried out appropriate experiments to show the value. Likewise, perhaps it is detrimental in many, and again, we have not carried out experiments that show this fact to be true."

"Iron in Reef Tanks: How Much and What Form?
Deciding how much iron to add is fairly easy because, in my experience, it doesn't seem to matter too much. Presumably, once you add enough to eliminate iron as a limiting nutrient, extra iron does not apparently cause harm (at least that I've detected in my tanks or heard of from others)."

Personally, I wouldn't dose Vitamin C. Vitamin C will bind with the oxygen molecule in water and makes it so that the fish can't use it, ie: can't breathe. They suffocate. I can say this because I have had to deal with it personally and lost over $1000 in fish because of it. The only way that I'm aware that you can dose Vitamin C is if you are supplying extra oxygenation to that water.

Acroholic;977568 wrote: If you post this in the Reef Central chemistry forum as well, there is a good chance Randy Farley will respond. He's been active on there lately.

I cannot respond because I don't have a clue how all those different things would react with one another.

Done, you can follow it under "fsalazar"

100%hydrophylic;977630 wrote: This personally would keep me from dosing iron.To each his own though :)

Randy doses Iron as of 08/07/14, check his posts on RC.
I'm no chemist, so I take his word.

100%hydrophylic;977641 wrote: I know, and randy is very knowledgeable. But He is one of many experts, and it seems that the experts dont fully agree or know how dosing iron affects coral.

as i said, to each his own :p

Keep sitting on the sideline and watch the pros do it. :shades:

100%hydrophylic;977648 wrote: that seemed kind of hostile, but I may just be misjudging the tone.

I just wanted to know why you personally were dosing iron along with your concoction. Most people dont dose iron, vitamin c, stability, or iodine. It is unknown if iron is beneficial or not, and you arent testing for it in the water. Stability is strange to dose in my opinion. Vitamin C, as stated previously is an antioxidant and will oxidize, removing oxygen from the water, and iodine I have also read has very little affect, and i have tested that one (not extensively, but i still have tried it).

I thought either maybe you could save some money by not dosing things that have little to no affect, or that maybe you could convince me that they are very beneficial to your system and maybe i should try it.

It seems neither has happened, but I just wanted to discuss it. Sorry if I offended you in any way, Ill leave this thread alone, GL :)

Relax, I'm just giving you a hard time for that bug you have as an icon. :yuk:

Here's a quote about one of your components from the RC thread regarding Stability:

"Stability is a bacterial product for cycling in a tank is it not? Why would one continue to dose that on a regular basis?"

There is a maintenance dose you can use with this product (per SeaChem). What is your goal with its continued use, and I guess the idea behind the comment is that it is really to help establish the biofilter and why would you want to dose beyond that?

I see the implied purpose continued use as maybe a way to enhance the break down organics, but the question is in a normally functioning biofilter, this should be unnecessary. So why use it after your biofilter is established? I don't take the comment as implying it would be bad for water quality, just that it may be unnecessary.

Acroholic;977656 wrote: Here's a quote about one of your components from the RC thread regarding Stability:

"Stability is a bacterial product for cycling in a tank is it not? Why would one continue to dose that on a regular basis?"

There is a maintenance dose you can use with this product (per SeaChem). What is your goal with its continued use, and I guess the idea behind the comment is that it is really to help establish the biofilter and why would you want to dose beyond that?

I see the implied purpose continued use as maybe a way to enhance the break down organics, but the question is in a normally functioning biofilter, this should be unnecessary. So why use it after your biofilter is established? I don't take the comment as implying it would be bad for water quality, just that it may be unnecessary.

Due to limited space in my biocube 29, most of my biological filtration is done in a canister filter filled with matrix and a filter pad to keep the matrix from clogging up too quickly.
I'm under the impression that every time i remove the racks of matrix to replace the filter pad, i'm disturbing the biological bacteria in the matrix by exposure to air.
I use the maintenance dose of stability during water changes and in my top off as a result.
Sound reasonable?

franciscosalazar;977675 wrote: Due to limited space in my biocube 29, most of my biological filtration is done in a canister filter filled with matrix and a filter pad to keep the matrix from clogging up too quickly.
I'm under the impression that every time i remove the racks of matrix to replace the filter pad, i'm disturbing the biological bacteria in the matrix by exposure to air.
I use the maintenance dose of stability during water changes and in my top off as a result.
Sound reasonable?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong by dosing, meaning bad for the tank. If it is necessary, I don't know. If I had a canister full of matrix plus whatever LR you have, I probably would not do it myself, as Matrix has a huge surface area.

But I operate with a very small amount of live rock in my 465, maybe 275 pounds, with a lot of SPS and a lot of fish. No other biological filtration at all. I think LR has a lot more biofiltration capacity than we give it credit for. I initially used Matrix in the sump, but pulled it many months ago.

But ultimately, you should do what you think is best for your system. I doubt you are hurting anything at all.

Acroholic;977717 wrote: I don't think you are doing anything wrong by dosing, meaning bad for the tank. If it is necessary, I don't know. If I had a canister full of matrix plus whatever LR you have, I probably would not do it myself, as Matrix has a huge surface area.

But I operate with a very small amount of live rock in my 465, maybe 275 pounds, with a lot of SPS and a lot of fish. No other biological filtration at all. I think LR has a lot more biofiltration capacity than we give it credit for. I initially used Matrix in the sump, but pulled it many months ago.

But ultimately, you should do what you think is best for your system. I doubt you are hurting anything at all.

Your tank's minimal rock work, bare bottom and high flow were the main elements I borrowed after seeing your setup in person.
I appreciate your experience, Dave.

Back