Dosing phyto, zoo plankton and other supplements

joseayes

Market
Reaction score
Been wandering with the idea to implement the dosing unit I've got to my small tank. Some of the first mentioned complements need to keep refrigerated (not essentially necessary) to keep them good while you use them and some others needs constantly or ocassinally be stirred up or shaken in order to add the correct amount and complete benefit of off them.
I haven't search much in another forums but thought to ask here and was thinking might someone has been running a dosing system with 5 or more supplements or if someone have had a DIY idea.
I'm thinking to get a small 6 can mini fridge and a lab shaker to acomplish my idea. yeah, it might sound not so good for some but I'm sure someone has had something similar.
I know some companies have already doser/shakers but I'm sure this can be done effectively this way too

If you're using zooplakton or phytoplankton in a bottle you could just unload it into a small container with an airline and pump to help keep it stirred. I've seen some guys set up small fridges that contains their dosing regiments (pretty big deal on zeovit systems)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I remember someone made a "feeder fridge" like this
refrigerator.jpg
alt="" />

If memory serves me right it might have been for a azoo tank that liked frequent feedings. Always meant to build one but never got a round to it. I didn't really like the idea of the stir plate because it might grind the chunky stuff to a pulp, but it would be at least possible set up a timer for the stir plate and dial it way back. There are some intresting DIY designs on some of the homebrew forums for stirplates, but yeah shakers could be way better.
Also, it would probably be best used in a tank room that's open as opposed to under the tank, those fridges give displace more heat then one would think.

Thanks Ben! I couldn't remember were I had seen a similar and this is the most compared to the idea I had too, plus the benefit of having the water circulation 24/7 that's a great idea! Was thinking on how to reduce the amount of feeding matter stuck on the 1/4 inch hose while the next stroke from the dosing pump would take time and the constantly movement of water on trough the 3/4 pvc pipe reduces that completely plus the length from the feeding bottle to the dosing pump and then to the pvc pipe it's really short, it helps a lot on reducing the amount that has to settle while it awaits to be pumped again.
I was pretending to do this but at a lower scale, this build it's well designed.

Back