dosing questions

qasimja

Market
Reaction score
so im at the point in my tank where im gonna need to start dosing im gonna be dosing 2 part seachem fusion 1 and 2 can anyone recommend an inexpensive dosing setup with pump and holding containers etc? thanks

actually nix the containers i can get something from the dollar store to hold the 2 part i guess i just need the dosing pump

actually nix the containers i can get something from the dollar store to hold the 2 part i guess i just need the dosing pump
If your 2 part comes in a plastic bottle, you can drill a 1/4" hole in the cap and just drop the dosing line in. For the $, we've been happy enough with the 4 head Jaebo DP-4. It was ~$60 on Amazon. Aside from calibrating it, once you program it it's a set and forget sort of thing. Nice that it retains the settings on power loss as well:

Dosing line holders for sump:

If your 2 part comes in a plastic bottle, you can drill a 1/4" hole in the cap and just drop the dosing line in. For the $, we've been happy enough with the 4 head Jaebo DP-4. It was ~$60 on Amazon. Aside from calibrating it, once you program it it's a set and forget sort of thing. Nice that it retains the settings on power loss as well:

Dosing line holders for sump:
thanks thats exactly what i was looking for

These are $60 each, controllable via your phone & for an extra $15 you can get a dosing container with low level sensor that notifies you via the phone when it’s low.

how quickly should i raise my levels? my alk right now is 7.5 i want to raise it to 9 and my calc is 390 i want to raise it to 430 im going to be using seachem fusion part 1&2 i know you shouldnt raise it too fast

how quickly should i raise my levels? my alk right now is 7.5 i want to raise it to 9 and my calc is 390 i want to raise it to 430 im going to be using seachem fusion part 1&2 i know you shouldnt raise it too fast
I am currently raising alk from 7.6 to 9. I’ve been told to take time and do it over 3 weeks period.
as far as calcium, try to avoid raising more than 50ppm per day

The rule for Alk that I've always relied on is no more the 1.0 dKh per day. Don't know how set-in-stone that is but it's worked for me. I've raised it more than that in a single day but it was a dose in the a.m. and a dose in the late p.m.

The rule for Alk that I've always relied on is no more the 1.0 dKh per day. Don't know how set-in-stone that is but it's worked for me. I've raised it more than that in a single day but it was a dose in the a.m. and a dose in the late p.m.
I would do .2dkh and 50ppm calcium raises per day max. When I first got started dosing I used a 4 head cheap Jaebo doser and dosed Alk on the hour every hour and calc on every x:30 hour. So it was dosing either alk or calc every thirty minutes. Started out maybe using 5ml of each per day but before I upgraded to calc reactor I was dosing close to 100ml per day. Corals eat it up.

Also - be sure to keep an eye on your magnesium. I didn't have to set it up on a doser but I did make adjustments when necessary.

If you're going to dose, though, start small (like - use less than you think would will to start) and test daily and work your way up. Slow incremental change is better than quick adjustments unless your parameters are just insanely in the red zones. Small adjustments can be much bigger than you think when you're dosing. Just take it slow and work your way up. Just my two cents.

I would also add that 1.0 dKh per day is a correcting a problem type dose. @Shawn rule of 0.2 dKh per day is good because only bad things happen fast in this hobby. Slower is most certainly better and a regular 1dKh swing would potentially screw things up.

so i raised my dkh to 8.6 and calcium to 440 and im already seeing corraline algae spots to pop up and my corals seem much happier maybe its my imagination lol i will test next Monday to see how much my tank consumes in a week to dial in how much i need to be dosing to maintain my levels

Back