Dosing the 2-part properly -- question

geno

Market
Reaction score
I took advantage of the group buy and ordered the 2-part kit from BRS. I measured my Ca, Mg, and Alk today -- with some inconsistent results from different test kits.

Nonetheless, here's my key question: I want to raise my KH from about 5 to 8 or so. I know this must be done slowly but I don't know the amount to dose daily to avoid over doing it. On the BRS site they recommend not raising the dKh more than 1.4/day -- okay -- so how do I determine the amount of solution to add per day? Sorry for the dumb question -- and thanks for your help.

-geno

geno;351669 wrote: I took advantage of the group buy and ordered the 2-part kit from BRS. I measured my Ca, Mg, and Alk today -- with some inconsistent results from different test kits.

Nonetheless, here's my key question: I want to raise my KH from about 5 to 8 or so. I know this must be done slowly but I don't know the amount to dose daily to avoid over doing it. On the BRS site they recommend not raising the dKh more than 1.4/day -- okay -- so how do I determine the amount of solution to add per day? Sorry for the dumb question -- and thanks for your help.

-geno

BRS has a calc and alk calculator on the site. You can add the volume of the tank water, then tell it how much you want to raise each and the calculator will tell you exactly how much to add.

I may have answered my own question -- here's what I did.

Used the calculator on BRS and computed the ml of solution to go from 5 to 6 dKh -- it said 250ml.

Thus, it would seem that 250ml of Soda Ash mixture could be added <u>daily </u>and not exceed the maximum change of dKh in one day.

What'd ya think -?

Thanks Bobz -- does the calculator compute the <u>daily </u>amount or the total needed to go from one level to the next?

The calculator to get you from a to b, or 5-6 in your example is to initially get your tank to your goal parameter level along with recommendations for how much of that first boost you can add safely per day so you don't cause detrimental spikes. There's also the recommended daily dosage ranges provided for your tank in ml per gallon depending on the types of livestock that will consume the supplements being added.

Take a look at the suggested dosing here for recipe 1 (Dosing 2 part section) and you'll see that they don't recommend more than 1ml per gallon for daily use unless you're heavily stocked with SPS and Clams.

a>

Thanks, Molson -- I missed that chart -- good catch, I could have made a big mistake using 250ml at one time!

When I checked the size of the dosing cups that come with the kit -- they are 100ml when full -- I've never dosed that much at one time -- ever. My water volume should be about 125 with sump and LR displacement.

Again -- thanks for the help -- I'm sure it saved me:doh:

It should be ok to dose the full amount but I would do it VERY slowly. Which would mean probably standing over your tank with an eye dropper for about 4 or 5 hours! The way you are choosing to do it will be much safer. I broke down and bought two dosing pumps for my big system for that same reason. They deliver 1.5 ml per minute so I can use my Reef Keeper and time them on and off for the exact amount I was to dose daily. It's been working great for me so far.

BZ

bobz;351711 wrote: It should be ok to dose the full amount but I would do it VERY slowly. Which would mean probably standing over your tank with an eye dropper for about 4 or 5 hours! The way you are choosing to do it will be much safer. I broke down and bought two dosing pumps for my big system for that same reason. They deliver 1.5 ml per minute so I can use my Reef Keeper and time them on and off for the exact amount I was to dose daily. It's been working great for me so far.

BZ
What dosing pump did you get?

I got Drew's pumps and they are working very well for me.

I was thinking of getting 2 Aqualifters and 2 digital timers (a cheap alternative to the dosing pumps) -- and I've read from some that it works quite well.

My Ca was over 500 and Mg was about 1200 -- but KH was about 5 using the API kit and the same using the Elos kit. I then tested using the Salifret kit and got 7.2 -- not sure which is correct -- but in any case a little Soda Ash looks to be in order.

I made up a gallon tonight but the instructions say to let it sit for a few hours -- I'll probably add 60ml tomorrow night -- that's using the .5ml/gallon approach for my 125.

Hey Barbara! Good to hear from you:yes:

I was going to get a CR but got scared of the system. As I did my research I came across too many experience where folks had crashed their tank and some folks claimed I really didn't have the need for one considering my very small amount of LPS (which died due to a parasite).

Since I do WC's faithfully -- I decided to try the 2-part dosing approach.

How is your CR doing?

-gene

You got that right!

I've got a blenny that is getting mighty thin -- I put some nori in a clip that he loves to eat from -- but the tangs are all over it and tend to push him aside.

I haven't made any real changes to my tank -- my corals are the same and I've not added any fish for a long time. It seems once you reach a balance point the only way to add anything -- is to subtract something. For now, I'm happy with the status quo.

I was pleased to add a CBB that I've read can be very difficult to keep. Mine has flourished and eaten every bit of my apitasia.

I've also rid the tank of those fire anemones that you saw.

Did you sell your rabbitfish?

Back