Dosing Vodka

kzoo

Market
Reaction score
Well I have read all the articles I could find and have chosen to start a dosing schedule with vodka. I have read that most people with high NO3 and PO4 have seen a big decrees after a week or so. I have been having trouble with hair algae and done every normal means to get rid of it. So I pick up a 80 proof vodka and started with about half the recommended dose so we will see what happens.
I will share my changes if any.
Any one else try this?

So, do you just drink it till you cant read your test kits anymore?:wine: J/K

johnr2604;159684 wrote: So, do you just drink it till you cant read your test kits anymore?:wine: J/K

Ya I thought it was a joke to but it seems to work.

showthread.php

How do you do it? Shot for you, shot for fish, repeat, until you hit floor??

i do this, just a word of advice, go REAL SLOW>>..

i also add sugar as a carbon source. just remember that your o2 levels will drop significantly as the bacteria go into a bloom as they multiply. so although its said to turn off your skimmer, i do not just to keep o2 levels high.. you dont want your fish dropping dead.. p.s add the vodka during the morning hours to reduce this..

I dose mine with some olive juice and a dab of vermoth....wait that's something else. Sorry!

Just keep taking shots until you don't care if there is any algae!:D

My Brazilian Gramma preferds the vodka with a bit of cranberry and triple sec...

or was that my Tahitian Grandma???

slayer77;159718 wrote: i do this, just a word of advice, go REAL SLOW>>..

i also add sugar as a carbon source. just remember that your o2 levels will drop significantly as the bacteria go into a bloom as they multiply. so although its said to turn off your skimmer, i do not just to keep o2 levels high.. you dont want your fish dropping dead.. p.s add the vodka during the morning hours to reduce this..

Thanks, it seems like most mix the sugar,vodka and vinagar is this how you are doing it?

can can use sugar and its a bit cheaper, your skimmer wont add that much O2 but do go slow very slow. i have added too much and almost crashed my tank.
also remember to dial down your skimmer because its going to go nuts. cheers

Back