Dotless Star Polyps

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
I have some metallic green star polyps that are growing like weeds. However, when I got them they all had little white dots in the center of the stars. In fact, all of the star polyps I've seen have these but mine. They are spreading quickly and seem to be doing really good. I was wondering if anyone knew what these white "dots" are and if it's normal for some star polyps to not have them. Thanks!

I have the same (or similar) type. No white dot. I think it looks better without, but I do not know what it is.

Ya, they still look great. I have them in a turbulent area so they wave back and forth all day long. I know they're healthy because they're spreading like weeds. I was more wondering what the "dots" are and maybe why mine lost theirs. Anyone know what they are?

I, too, have both the with stars type and the without. My without are spectacular and wave beautifully just like jcook54's. Anyone have a clue?

It looks to me that when the polyp extension gets long enough, the white center is no longer visible, but still there. Mine are extremely long too, so long the that the clownfish that host in them can burry themselves, and no white centers are visible. The shorter polyps though still show the white centers and they are easily seen since they are not as thick and long.

Back