Double ended metal halide advice

brownguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Aquamaxx lighting? there $29 a piece on marine depot. or can you recommend a good bulb for a 150 watt double ended bulb , 14k

Trust me I have used almost every 150W DE bulb and 14K Phoenix gives the best color and growth. If the local sponsors do not have it hellolights.com is good and gives you free shipping on bulbs.

Darren

no, but I hear it's the best 14k bulb. I have a 250w that came sort of as a spare when I bought my setup. They supposedly last longer, and have greater PAR from what I've been told.

I'm more of a 20k kind of guy tho. So thats why I don't use it.

I am going to get the 150w 14k Phoenix for my Nano when I add corals....I asked the same question recently and almost everyone recommended the Phoenix.

hellolights is also having a 10% off blackfriday sale till nov 30 coupon code BLACKFRIDAY08

just an fyi: my next bulb with be either the phoenix 14k or the Radiums. I can't decide, but I have plenty of time.

I really like the ab aqualine 10k (13k), but I'm wanting more blue. Ushio 14k looked great to me, but I wanted less blue at the time. as long as you stick with these brands mentioned, it's going to be based on personal preference. Sanjay has not tested the phoenix.

dawgdude;248746 wrote: Here are a few of the bulbs Ive used:

<u>Phoenix 14k</u>- Best all around bulb, awesome color and growth.
<u>Blueline 10k+</u> -the plus means its REALLY blue and it is, almost actinic but I liked it
<u>Ushio 14k</u>- HATE it, kind of yellow and even tried it on a few different ballasts. Got same growth as with phoenix and better colors!
<u>Coralife 14k/10k</u> -NEVER buy a coralife bulb IMO, color shift is MAJOR over the first month or so and then your tank looks like someone took a whiz in it. Ive used a bunch of these and they all did the same.
<u>Radium 20k</u> - Ehhh, its an ok bulb, If I wanted a 20k bulb I would go with the blueline 10k+. Radiums look pinkish purple to me and I want BLUE

Ive tried others but none are even worth mentioning.

Thanks for the breakdown. I was considering a coralife for a replacement for cost...but that seems like another get what you pay for things...

I ran the Hamilton 14k on my 150w HQI that I had for a brief time. It put off a clearish-blue light. Looked pretty good and they were like $50.00 a piece from Sam @ Aquabuys.

When I ran 250w HQI's (four over my 240g), I started with Phoenix 14k and moved to Hamilton 14k. The Phoenix bulbs gave great color, but when I tested with a PAR meter, just didn't give a great amount of light. The Hamilton 14k's aren't quite as blue, but had a good deal more PAR. Sorry- it's been years, so I don't remember the exact numbers.

These pics are after 100 hours of burn in. no actinics. in a Sunpod.

first is the Phoenix 14k
Second, is the Radiums.

Phoenix 14k here . Love the color and the corals love it as well

thanks for the reply's I'm defininitly going with phoenix. nice tank by the way, I'm working on getting to your level tank, i've only been in this for 11 mnths.

brownguy;252873 wrote: thanks for the reply's I'm defininitly going with phoenix. nice tank by the way, I'm working on getting to your level tank, i've only been in this for 11 mnths.

thanks! but not my tank, LOL! I found those pics, as I am also trying to decide between Phoenix & Radiums. At this point, I'm leaning Radium. This way I can ditch my T-5 actinic. Most of my sps are blues & greens, too.

Well, I went with the Radiums, and I was very happy that I did. Just awesome. I did check out a lot of info on both the Phoenix & the Radiums, both are comparable, just personal choice and whether or not you want to pay the extra cash for the Radiums.

In those pics, the Phoenix makes the corals look "normal" while the Radium seems to wash them out.

I'm planning on 2x250 Phoenix 14k bulbs soon...I may have some actinic supplementation that I can turn on/off at will, or may use for sunset/sunrise.

Back