Double light cycles in a day

Meech

Supporting
Reaction score
Opinions? I want to enjoy my tank at night and in morning before work

I have a "mornings" profile on my radions that I'll turn on if I'm working from home early in the day. It brings the lights on enough to see things and get some color but not interfere with their daily routine too much.

Don't mean to jack your thread but this double light cycle makes me question the thought process and success of reefers who have little or no dark periods.
I've read several post of other forums and some reefers insist that it's necessary and others claim it's not.
For a time I was leaving my lunar lights on throughout the night. I didn't see any negative effects or positive effects in doing so but I would like to mimic
a natural reef as much as possible and for my understanding, reefs do have a period of darkness. So that's what Ive done.
It sucks when I'm off from work and up late and the lights go out. I'll turn em on for another hour of so but I won't go more than that.

We have 2 tanks plumbed together into 1 system. The display tank is on from 11A-10PM and the frag tank is on from 10PM-11AM on the other side of the wall. Always something to look at between the 2 rooms and it helps even out the PH swing that would otherwise fall a lot more overnight. The wall keeps them isolated light wise so the inhabitants get day/night cycles or as close as we can manage with some curtained windows in either room.

Last edited:
I have heard of people doing something like this where they split a 24 hour day into two 12 hour days. Supposedly the people doing this were doing it for increased growth as a way to get around photoinhibition. I have no idea if there is any truth behind the concept but you can probably trick any animal's circadian rhythm by altering a light schedule this way if you wanted to.

Its been done plenty. There is really no downside, and the benefits are debatable. If you want to see stuff in the morning, turn on the lights. Unless you have algae or heat issues leave them on all day.

Back