Downdraft skimmer conversion

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I have this skimmer which is, I believe, an older style </span><span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Aquatecture downdraft skimmer. It is very similar build to the current MRC skimmer which got me an idea: What if I got a Beckett spray head and fit it to this skimmer? </span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">I have seen many designs similar to the downdraft that uses a Beckett instead of the bio balls (that are traditionally the “foam agent” if you will). Theoretically, I should be getting the same, if not better, results and will be able to use a smaller pump to operate it.</span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">I got the Beckett spray head (shown in the picture on the left of the skimmer) and fitted it to the existing shaft. The results were less then expected and even less then the original output. The shaft was full of bubbles but they didn’t seem to reach the skimmer body itself. </span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">What I was thinking next was to cut the downdraft shaft, closer to the skimmer body (shown in red) in a similar way that the MRC skimmer is build.</span></span>
<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">One more observation is that the shaft goes all the way into the bubble box and has two holes, on the opposite side of the skimmer body, where the bubbles escapes and eventually flows to the skimmer body.</span></span>

<span style="color: black;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">Any suggestion/opinions will be greatly appreciated.</span></span>

one thing you could do to make that skimmer work better would be to turn it into a rec skimmer. Then feed it with a smaller pump which will then give you longer contact time

casper75;102976 wrote: one thing you could do to make that skimmer work better would be to turn it into a rec skimmer. Then feed it with a smaller pump which will then give you longer contact time

How would you do that?

what pump are you using? If you're using a potent enough pump, you shouldn't have to cut the acrylic at all.

Skriz;103065 wrote: what pump are you using? If you're using a potent enough pump, you shouldn't have to cut the acrylic at all.

It came with a Mag 9.5 but I was hoping to run it with a Mag 5.

Back