downdraft skimmers vs other

pbyrmartin

Market
Reaction score
I have a Etss skimmers for seven years now
it has been working non stop for that peroid of time
are there better skimmers on the market now, what other skimmer can I compare it to
what are there advantages, my only complain with this skimmer is that it's a little loud, I quess it is from the high pressure from the pump entering it.

i guess you could do the math. a MSX 200 skimmer pulls about 30watts. IF your pumps pulls 130watts. you save 100watts (per hour?) x24x365=$$$ . id also guess you would get better performance.

almost any skimmer technology on the market now is better than a downdraft skimmer.

Good needlewheel skimmers are efficient, skim well and are low maintenance.
Good beckett skimmers use more power, skim very well and require more maintenance.

With nw skimmers, you have hundreds of options. If you go this route, buy the best you can afford-it does make a difference!

Downdraft skimmer have their pros and cons. But with modern technology, the pros are shrinking greatly. They are big, use alot of power and are very loud (all noted here). What size tank you looking to use it on, 150gal?!? If that is the case, there is much to be had in the NW or bubble plate skimmer market for you.

Skriz;308866 wrote: almost any skimmer technology on the market now is better than a downdraft skimmer.

Good needlewheel skimmers are efficient, skim well and are low maintenance.
Good beckett skimmers use more power, skim very well and require more maintenance.

With nw skimmers, you have hundreds of options. If you go this route, buy the best you can afford-it does make a difference!

what are some of the down fall of the downdraft other than what's mention
If I am going to upgrade I would like to justify the upgade
Right now I have a 55 watts pump going, little noise and once a month I empty the collection cup and every two weeks I clean out the upper assy.
bear with here, this is the only skimmer I have been running for the past seven years,
so your input will be helpful

pbyrmartin;309173 wrote: what are some of the down fall of the downdraft other than what's mention
If I am going to upgrade I would like to justify the upgade
Right now I have a 55 watts pump going, little noise and once a month I empty the collection cup and every two weeks I clean out the upper assy.
bear with here, this is the only skimmer I have been running for the past seven years,
so your input will be helpful

The biggest downfall is going to be the performance. You can get much much better performance from newer technologies. If you empty your cup once a month now, with a good skimmer, you'll empty it atleast once a week. I spoke to a member at the last meeting who pulls a gallon a week since he changed skimmers...that's insane!

55 watts is not bad for power consumption though. You'll likely consume more power with a more powerful skimmer, but you'll get more out of it too.

What size tank do you have? This will help size a skimmer for you.

I have a 150 gal 60x24x24
The skimmer is plumed in the side of the sump with an external pump
what kind of skimmer would fit this setup

Back