dragonets

Highly dependent on either tank size or refugium to tank ratio. I have kept a mandarin (a dragonet) for over 2 years in a 15g then a 25g and then a 40g system that included a 25g regfugium. The long held "100g+" assessment is due to the fact that a tank that large can supply the kind of live copepods that a mandarin needs without a refugium. If you're willing to dedicate a larger ratio refugium to your setup, you can keep a mandarin in as little as 15g (I had a 25g refugium attached).

Regardless of the tank size and the size of the refugium, you will need a fully mature system. I would put a comfortable time frame of at least 9 months of up-and-running status before considering adding such a fish.

well see. i just got one myself, and im starting a copepod fuge jsut for him.. but well see, ill let you know what happens

I have had one for about a year now. I would suggest a well established tank with a HUGE copepod population. I mean when you can see them everywhere on everything. Then you might be ready to have one with good success.

I have a 90 gallon with 30 gallon refugium. I could actually see the copepods in the tank breeding in the overflow at first then they spread into the tank. After adding my mandarin within the first 6 months I noticed a great reduction of pods. Hes fat as heck and all day long he swims and eats, probly twice his weight in food.

They are great fish for the money but just have to make sure the food chain is up and running. I not sure about any alternative feeding methods. Maybe someone else can elaborate if there is.

Back