Dragonface Pipefish (pics)

I have those pipefish about 16 months now. I got them at the Drs.

Barbara;130168 wrote: Ralph, are pipefish as labor intensive as seahorses? That is, do you have to feed them all the time and feed special food? I saw some pipefish at Optimum in a tank with other fish, but I thought the pipes, like seahorses, had to be in a very docile tank. When did you start keeping the pipes, and do you have them in a separate tank? What is the bright blue thing in the pic?

Depends on the species. They have to eat all the time, so I have 2 small fuges that cultivate pods. I let my back wall grow out, let Halimeda grow, shake off cheato in my tank before I chuck it, breed (gut packed) brine shrimp once a week, etc. I encourage pods.
They are in my sps reef tank with very friendly fish. That purple fish would be a Royal Gramma. No Anemone or stinging stuff!

Mystery...How do they fair with SH's? I was considering them as an addition to the ponies

I am no "expert" by any means, however, I have "heard" that pipefish are too aggressive feeding and could starve the ponies.

roundman;130263 wrote: Very Nice. I am sure they are cool to sit and watch

Yes, they can be mesmerizing! They are truly amazing fish. They are not afraid of anything and are really slow moving (both attributes could really get them in trouble though). They glide, hover, & hop on the live rock all day & night. Sometimes they stake out a corner where that know some pods will be coming through.

The best part is they're supposed to eat red bugs.

I know people with plenty of red bugs you can seed your tank with to keep that pipefish happy :).

FutureInterest;130398 wrote: The best part is they're supposed to eat red bugs.

I know people with plenty of red bugs you can seed your tank with to keep that pipefish happy :).

to be honest, that's why I got them in the first place! I never had red bugs though, but back then I couldn't figure out what was going on with my stonies. (it was nutrients) I didn't just throw them in there, however, I did my research & figured that I could keep them with a little effort. They put some limitations on what can go in my tank, but they are worth it imo. I find it hard to believe that they have not got sucked into my Tunze Streams.

Back