Drain line

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
There was a good discussion on how far to have the drain underwater in the sump. Can't seem to find it. There was some benefits to only having it a certain depth. Anyone recall.

It's not a good idea to have the drain below the water line in the sump. The back pressure will cause the water to not drain properly until the weight of it in the overflow box, is heavy enough to counter the back pressure. Then you get a flushing sound.

If you MUST have the pipe go below the water line, at least cut a few slats in the pipe above the water line to relieve/prevent the back pressure.

Jenn

JennM;1062360 wrote: It's not a good idea to have the drain below the water line in the sump. The back pressure will cause the water to not drain properly until the weight of it in the overflow box, is heavy enough to counter the back pressure. Then you get a flushing sound.

If you MUST have the pipe go below the water line, at least cut a few slats in the pipe above the water line to relieve/prevent the back pressure.

Jenn
JennM

I haven't been in the hobby for too long and I'm pretty sure that I'm not as knowledgeable as you're, could you elaborate your point on the weight and back pressure? if the drain line is above the water line of the sump, doesn't the water make splashing sound when entering the sump? (assuming there's no filter socks)

I have also read that for herbie overflow you can have the drain line up to 1 inch below the water level.

your feedback is much appreciated.

I don't want to speak for Jenn but she was probably referencing a standard overflow setup. Not a full siphon.

Back