Drain thoughts

lee_steffen87

Market
Reaction score
I used this stuff I found at home depot. When I first set up seemed like a great idea...... now not so much its making a pretty loud waterfall.Being that this in my living room not such a great sound.:smashfreakB: My bulkheads are barbed so pvc not an option. Anyone have ideas or advice.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
943899=52651-20140321_165234.jpg
>
943899=52651-20140321_165234.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20140321_165234.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Is it a solid plastic or is it rubber coated? If it's like that corrugated drain pipe, I could imagine that would be pretty noisy.

I have some thing similar and i have a filter sock on the end and it keeps it quiet I just zip tied it on

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

yea just corrugated plastic. Sometimes I wonder what goes through my head, water running over ridges..... Duh its going to be loud.

I don't think the pipe is your issue. Most LPS sales that stuff and its widely used. It may not be exactly the same but corrugated nonetheless. I had a big problem with noise when I first up my 90 a few weeks ago but its gotten better due to a few things. First I reduced the amount of flow to the tank to about 8-9 times turn over rate. Then I added a filter sock and also cut down my drain so the pipe doesn't stick below the water surface too much. That will cause back pressure on the drain and cause a lot of noise. Lastly, I think the drain just needs time to develop the slim coat on its inside for things to flow smoother. Note that last statement is just an observation.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Try pond tubing. Black vinyl tubing, smooth, and thick enough not to kink. Try not to have any places where the water has to go uphill, that can cause back pressure and cause gurgle. Also, have your drain empty above the water line in the sump. If you try to drain below the water line, that also causes back pressure until the water trying to drain, gets heavy enough to force against the back pressure.

Also make sure your standpipe(s) is/are adequately vented.

Jenn

JennM;943933 wrote: Try pond tubing. Black vinyl tubing, smooth, and thick enough not to kink. Try not to have any places where the water has to go uphill, that can cause back pressure and cause gurgle. Also, have your drain empty above the water line in the sump. If you try to drain below the water line, that also causes back pressure until the water trying to drain, gets heavy enough to force against the back pressure.

Also make sure your standpipe(s) is/are adequately vented.

Jenn
Originally that was what I was looking for but two home depots later I came away with the ripped. Neither had the the smooth hose in large enough diameter. I had seen it in other setups and figured it was ok.

Try an aquarium or pond store ;) Lee is the brand I like, they make several kinds, clear and black. I like the black stuff, it's sturdier and light doesn't get into it so it doesn't grow algae like the clear stuff does.

Jenn

Back