Drilling a siphon break in return loc-line; and gurgle-buster

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
When drilling a siphon break in the return, do you do it just below the water level? I'm wondering if I'll get any spray out of the hole if I put it too close to the surface. I assume drilling it in the side, i.e. 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock (viewed from the outlet) is preferable- in the top would be a spray problem and in the bottom would mean that much more water going down before exposing the hole to air, right?

Feel free to school me if I've got it all wrong.

Also, are gurgle-busters something that are sold as parts or do most people make them? I've never seen a photo of what makes them tick, just a view of the whole thing installed.

Don't know about the loc line.

I made my gurgle buster in about 15min with less than $6 in parts. As long as you have a drill and a 1/2" bit, you just need some PVC pieces.

a>

Thanks for the link! So when using a gurgle buster, you eliminate the curved piece that turns the standpipe downward at the top, I take it? I never knew what that was for anyway. I assumed it was noise reduction as well. I think a good portion of my noise is at the ball valve in the drain line above the sump rather that in the overflow itself, so before I build anything I'm gonna take the valve out and test that (after double checking that I can't overflow the sump).

The one with the curved pipe is called a Durso Standpipe. There is another version called the Stockman Standpipe as well. I have the Hofer because it fit in my overflow box.

How far above the water is your drain? If it's too high the water will splash and make noise. Too low and it will have bubbles and make noise. I have mine just above the water line, like 1/4" to 1/2" and it's quiet enough.

au01st;333543 wrote: The one with the curved pipe is called a Durso Standpipe. There is another version called the Stockman Standpipe as well. I have the Hofer because it fit in my overflow box.

How far above the water is your drain? If it's too high the water will splash and make noise. Too low and it will have bubbles and make noise. I have mine just above the water line, like 1/4" to 1/2" and it's quiet enough.

Not quite sure what you're asking so I'll describe it:
The water level in the tank is about 2" above the water level in the overflow. I've adjusted the standipe up and down (up as far as possible before the nipple on the top of the Durso is touching the back of my lights, which sit on the top of the tank), and it makes no noise difference. The water falling into the overflow is a small trickle; the noise that is up top is almost all from the water going down the pipe.

Also, I've seen other standpipes where there is a hose that you adjust up and down inside the pipe; mine has no hose, just a nipple on the top that lets air in (a siphon break of some sort?).
Does that help?

Also, I think it's possible that the noise originates from the ball valve in the stand, and it carries up the pipe to be audible up top.

cr500_af;333542 wrote: I think a good portion of my noise is at the ball valve in the drain line above the sump rather that in the overflow itself, so before I build anything I'm gonna take the valve out and test that (after double checking that I can't overflow the sump).

There should never be anything obstructing the drain line - no "valves" etc are needed. It's gravity fed. Any obstruction can and will become a problem at some point. Drains need to be wide open.

If you have to take the thing apart to service it at some point, once you shut down the pump, the water in the overflow drains into the sump - just do what you have to do - there is no need for shutoff valves - gravity takes care of it.

As for the break-siphon, if it's above the water line, it will spray a bit (usually not a problem depending on placement). If it's below - be sure to keep it clean (can clog with detritus and/or algae) and the water in the tank WILL drain to below that hole - and beyond if you don't keep the hole clean.

Jenn

I removed the ball valve and put siphon breaks in the loc line, one in each branch. Without the ball valve, the sump level rises and then the water "dumps" into the sump fast... and loud. The level falls quickly during the dump, and then rises slowly. Repeat ad nauseum. Changing the height of the standpipe changed nothing. Put the ball valve back in temporarily until I figure out the fix... now it's about 400% quieter.
I give! Somebody teach me? Is THIS why Gurgle Busters were invented?

Back