Drilling a sump

mockery

Market
Reaction score
Ok so do I have any volunteers to drill my sump while it is full? Of course I'll drain the chamber I want drilled. Looking to have a 1in hole put in. Have some zoa frags I can trade.

Thanks,
Colin

The problem with trying this is you need water running over the bit the whole time to keep it cooled.

Can you not run water over the bit as its cutting sideways? We do this with concrete bores all the time at work, although it is messy.... just use a shopvac to suck up the water while drilling..

I have drilled my tanks on the side with water just running over the bit. I was able to take outside but location would be the issue here. I do have a 1" bit. sorry I just checked and it is a 1 1/2" bit.

I would think you could do it sideways, but I figured the issue is the sump would still be in the stand and not somewhere you could keep water flowing over the glass.

do you want to install a 1 inch bulkhead or a 1 inch glass hole? I have bit for 1 inch bulkhead and 3/4 bulkhead.if you would like to borrow I could bring to meeting.

If the chamber is drained and a drill will fit inside the chamber I will hook a small powerhead or aqualifter to run over the bit then siphon out that chamber and clean it done. If not I can build a dam with a spout out of plumbers putty and let it drain into a bucket and use the same powerhead or aqualifter.

Went up to eric's and pick up my mom form work so just walking in to eat so I'll put them up after that. Thanks again for doing drilling it.

Back