drilling a tank w/o taking town

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I've heard it done before, but are there any "how to"s to drilling a tank with livestock still in it? I suppose I could take it down, but option A sounds easier if it can be done safely.

ares;202536 wrote: depends where your drilling it.

water tends to come out of holes :p and you cant put an overflow in to stop it if its full of water.

I could see draining the tank enough to get a horizontal overflow in, then drilling it...

Id also suspect that glass slurry might be bad for fish, so acrylic only unless your overflow catches all the glass shavings and you think you can clean it out.

it would be a hor. cut but it is a glass tank. i suppose i`ll break down when the time comes

there is a guy on here that has drilled a tank with water in it i forgot his name but i think he helped a guy named ace drill his tank at one time a while back........

I would be scared but like dawg said it would depend on the size and thickness of the tank. Drilling weakens the glass untill you get a bulkhead installed so if its thinner glass I would worry about a catostrophic failure in your house. Also like mentioned you need to keep the bit wet so you need to come up with a way to do that without making a big mess. Not saying it cant be done and it has but seams like a big gamble to take inside your house.

i have also talked to a guy that did it and said he used olive oil or veggie oil instead of water to keep the bit "wet" or lubricated or whatever and you need to put some sort of tape or something on the other side of the glass to prevent shards you would have to drain enough water from the tank to get the water line below where the hole would be........i think haha

Ive drilled about 8 tanks filled with water, corals the whole works - no biggie , although there is a method to it. If you want more info pm me.

Back