Drilling External Overflows

dylpik27

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone on here have any experience adding an external overflow to a non-drilled glass tank? I'm strongly considering adding one with a bean overflow to a 120. I'm wondering (i) if anyone has done it before and would like to do it for a reasonable price, (ii) how difficult it would be and (iii) how much I would likely spend in materials if I did it myself.

Thanks,
Dylan

I have done it on my old 125. Loved the bean animal. I have a bit that I bought from glass holes.com (no space in that). The key is to not put any pressure on it as you drill. All told, I have drilled about a dozen holes with no issues.

But, you need to be sure it is not tempered.

I am a long ways from you but if you are going with 1" bulkheads, don't mind hauling the tank to me (near Ballground) I will drill it for free. I could do it tomorrow or Sunday but not next weekend.

I drilled overflows in my tank (read that as my husband drilled and I watched awed) we bought the diamond drill bit and a guide. Really wasn't too hard. Ditto on the make sure it isn't tempered. ( I since have changed to a reef ready tank with dual overflows. ) It has a bit of a learning curve on tuning the flow. I still have 2 black internal overflows if you would be interested in going that way, worked really well on my 125. I also still have the drill bit and guide...

Pure Reef drills for $20 per hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back