Drilling glass

demifelix

Market
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to hook 2 10-gallons together to make a sump/refuge system, but I don't know how to drill glass (or should they be drilled at all given the thinness of the 10-gallon?) Could someone give me some advice on how to proceed? Thanks.

Felix

They can be drilled. I'd be glad to but it is a ride for you as I am in Dallas GA. Chris at fish scales can set you up I'm sure.

I wouldn't. Assuming it's not tempered and it can be drilled or he has access to liquid nitrogen, the thin glass may not be able to withstand the stress forces. Wjy not experiment with plastic unril you are sure about connecting the two 10s. JMO.

I've drilled several.most ten gallons are not tempered no need since they are so small
Look on MVM' s build thread there is a ten gallon refugium I drilled for him.

If Chris doesn't want to let me Know I will be in Marietta tomorrow if you want to bring them there. sent pm with # It won't take but a few minutes.

grouper therapy;480485 wrote: If Chris doesn't want to let me Know I will be in Marietta tomorrow if you want to bring them there. sent pm with # It won't take but a few minutes.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">Got your PM. Thanks for offering to help. I haven't got the 10gallons yet. I'm thinking about gettting it on craigslist for $10 each but I'm not sure unless I know for sure it can be done. </span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana"></span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana"><span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">
Tony_Caliente;480472 wrote: I wouldn't. Assuming it's not tempered and it can be drilled or he has access to liquid nitrogen, the thin glass may not be able to withstand the stress forces. Wjy not experiment with plastic unril you are sure about connecting the two 10s. JMO.
</span></span>

I thought about this too. Acrylic is ideal in this case, but it's more expensive. I called around and it costs over $100 to build something like this.

Here's the design that I found on the web that I really like because it fits my situation: I have vertical support in the middle, so the opening underneath the stand is only 21" H x 16" W. That's why I like the idea of having 2 cubes inside and connect together to increase the total volume. You guys are experts in this, could please give me some opinions on this design?</span></span>

I have multiple 10 gal tanks that I will sell you for $10 and will be happy to drill as well. I have several that are already drilled but I am sure that you will want them drilled differently. LMK as it can be done today.

FWIW- I have drilled 10 gallon tanks for bulkheads using a Dremmel with diamond bits. Just used Plumber's putty to make a dam around the hole site and filled that with water for lube/cooling. Go slowly, no problem. Remember to wear those safety glasses though!

BTW-My wife thought I was nuts (not the first time).

I know for a fact that Chris at FishScales can drill 10's. He did it for me this past weekend. There is an art to doing it, and for such think glass it takes forever. Patience is your friend.

You all make it sounds so easy, but for me it's a scary thing just thinking about it. I'll probably pay a visit to Chris' store sometimes. Thanks everyone.

ichthyoid;481016 wrote: FWIW- I have drilled 10 gallon tanks for bulkheads using a Dremmel with diamond bits. Just used Plumber's putty to make a dam around the hole site and filled that with water for lube/cooling. Go slowly, no problem. Remember to wear those safety glasses though!

BTW-My wife thought I was nuts (not the first time).

Is there a dremel hole saw bit? Or did you just use the grinding or linear cutting bits?

Fetch;496553 wrote: Is there a dremel hole saw bit? Or did you just use the grinding or linear cutting bits?

I bought diamond tipped drill bits and drilled a series of holes to make the circle. These holes basically touched each other, so afterward I used the drill to bridge these individual holes and smoothed the 'ripples'. I also used a Sharpie marker to mark the outline first. Kind of like perforated paper works, if that's a good example? It takes a little time, but I guess I did it in about 20-30 minutes. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist, so you may be able to do it a little faster. It didn't cost much and I learned something new.

Makes sense. What size drill bit did you use, and what size bulkhead were you putting in the tank?

I put in 2 bulkeads, a 1 inch and a 1.5 inch in my 10 gallon micro-reef. The 1 inch for supply and the 1.5 inch for overflow to the sump (Homer bucket for now). I will have to go look at the bit size. I have an Eclipse 2-bulb hood with LED's I added (thanks Jenn!). Maybe I should do a build thread for this (?).
Hmmm...

Back