drilling into tempered glass?

rasbora

Market
Reaction score
I have a spare piece for a glass lid. 3/16" thick, I think it is tempered. Any ideas on if I can safely get a 1" hole drilled in it? Just going to be using it for an autofeeder.

blu_devl_06;432203 wrote: Rephrase-very few can drill it.....thin glass is hard enough to drill, tempered glass is extremely difficult to drill.:sad:

Hmm maybe I'll get a piece of plexi and use that temporarily as the front half of the lid, then drill that. Going away for 2-3 weeks, so setting up all the tanks with feeders. Have all the tanks setup except this new one needs to have the feeder near the front somewhere. Just have to keep the water evap in check and the jumpers from jumping:p

a very good friend just did some business with our good friend acro . he built them today. hes put some 90's in there too. i hope he posts up pics.

blu_devl_06;432214 wrote: Hmmmm......a feeder would drop through 1/4" clear mesh, like the top I have on my tank.....that I got the mesh from Acroholic to build.....:unsure:

Got mesh tops for 2 tanks, great for summer though to get rid of the heat. Needed to switch to glass tops to keep the evaporation in check, while I'm gone. This tank is a planted tank, the back has too many high plants where the food would get stuck. As a last resort I'll flip the front and back of the top around, put the vinyl part on the front and move filter there too.
Then cut a hole in the vinyl part for the autofeeder.

I think I'll stop by a glass shop on the way back from school tomorrow. See if it tempered or not.

blu_devl_06;432229 wrote: You don't have an ATO? If you go away very often, this would be a must....that's my next project...

Have too many small tanks 5g-20g and then 3 40's, to get a top off system going. For when I do go away at the end of each school quarter, my ato normally consists of 2 buckets of water and a friend that usually never goes on vacation.

Yeah, I can see the logistical problems of a whole bunch of small tanks where an ATO is concerned... unless you plumbed them all to a common sump, which may not even be possible depending on your house layout and location of the tanks. However, if you could pull that off it would add quite a bit of stability to the system and the ATO would be simple (and very, very cheap if you go the DIY route).

Back